I Am 36 Year Old. 5ft 3 Inch and 127lb. I Am Planning to Have Tummy Tuck with Breast Lift? (photo)

Is It Ok to Do Both Procedure at Once 36 year old. 127 lb. 5ft 3 inch 2 kids with c-section 34 dd beast size I am in good health overall. Also how long the procedure would take? How long i should take the time off from work? i have talked to couple of doctors and one was suggesting to do combine in 5 hours (which will save me some money) and other was suggesting to do separate (tummy tuck alone will take 8 hours). Any suggestion?

Combined procedures

+1

Mommy makeover is safe as long as it is done for healthy patients.  Mommy makeover is a combination surgery of abdomen and breasts; it is usually done at the same time.  Depending on complexity of surgery, it may take 4-6 hours.  You want to be optimized medically and at a stable weight prior to your surgery.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instruction to minimize peri-operative risks and complication.  I do not think you need to break your procedures into two.  Good luck with surgery and recovery.

Tummy Tuck and Full Breast Lift Time In Surgery

+1

A tummy tuck and full breast lift in a woman your size would take about 1 hour for the tummy tuck and about 2 hours for the full breast lift (maybe less).  This would only be about 3 hours of surgery, and I frequently perform these procedures together.

Combining Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs of your breasts but you say you are 34 DD.  A lift could take as long as 3 to 4 hours and an abdominoplasty will take 2 to 3 hours since you are very thin.  The combination should take less than 6 hours, which is a safe amount of time.  Certainly, it would never take 8 hours to do an abdominoplasty.  In terms of time off, I usually recommend 1 month and perhaps longer if your job involves heavy lifting of any kind.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and tummy tuck combined

+1

These procedures are commonly combined and can be done safely in a healthy person. On average, the two procedures take about 5 hours when combined. If your job is not physically demanding, most people can return to work after 2 weeks. 

It is important to understand that a return to work after 2 weeks does not mean that you are fully recovered. You will still have some mild swelling, discomfort and tightness at that point. Most people feel "recovered" around 6 weeks post-op.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

Thanks for submitting your photos and telling us your story.  It is safe to combine both of these procedures.  Given your height and weight, this should be comfortably finished in under six hours.  The caveat for this is that you are in overall good medical health.  Another preop clearance issue is for a screening mammography should you fall into normal screening guidelines or if you have a family history of breast cancer.  The benefits for both at once are one recovery period, cost savings on anesthesia and operating room fees.  From your photos, the majority of your stretch marks should be taken care of, however, those that are above your belly button will remain, albeit in a lower postion along the tummy tuck scar.  Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us and best of luck in finding a board certified plastic surgeon to aid you in achieving the body that you are looking for.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

I Am 36 Year Old. 5ft 3 Inch and 127lb. I Am Planning to Have Tummy Tuck with Breast Lift?

+1

First make sure the surgeons are boarded PSs!! Than I believe one operation at 5 hours can be done. But I would take 3 weeks off from work. 

Can I Do A Tummy Tuck And Breast Lift Simulteneously?

+1

Dear Alma, The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures that allow for correction of the major changes wrought by pregnancy.  The tummy tuck and breast lift, in my opinion, are the backbone of a Mommy Makeover.  The question of safety by combining these two procedures depends on your health and your surgeon's skill and speed. 

Depending on the complexity of your breast lift, and given the views of your abdomen that you shared with us, I think a 5 hour combined procedure sounds pretty reasonable.  Even 6 to 6-1/2 hours does not sound unreasonable.  Any surgeon who takes 8 hours for a tummy tuck obviously is not a Mommy Makeover surgeon, and may, in fact, be too early or too late in his or her career to give their suggestion much credence.

As to time off work, the tummy tuck is the limiting factor.  For your age range, I recommend 10 days to 2 weeks off for office type of work, and 3-4 weeks off for more manual labor.  However, each person is different and I have had 25 year old beauticians stand all day and cut hair just 5 days after surgery.  This scared me to death, but the patients did fine. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures are safe

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. There may be a bit of a misunderstanding as tummy tucks usually take 2-4 hours to complete (depending on what exactly is being done).  I would be concerned if you were told that a tummy tuck takes 8 hours.  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  It sounds like you've done your homework and I'm sure you'll love your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Concerns?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I cannot provide you with precise advise without  obtaining a full history,  performing a physical examination and discussing your goals in detail, I can provide you  with some general advice. Generally speaking, for patient like yourself who are in good health, the procedures that you are contemplating can be done safely in a single stage. This is assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, board-certified anesthesiologist, in a fully accredited surgery center or hospital. The time of surgery generally  varies from one surgeon to another;  in my practice, this operation would take 5 to 6 hours. There is no reason why a tummy tuck operation should take 8 hours;  there may have been a misunderstanding here.

The most important decision will be selection of plastic surgeon; everything else will follow from there. I will also attach some advice I provide to my patients before they undergo mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Combine breast lift and tummy tuck for mommy makeover

+1

The combination of a breast procedure such as a lift or implants along with a tummy tuck is what generally defines the "mommy makeover." It is common to do them together and a 5-hour surgery time seems adequate. I can't imagine why a tummy tuck would take 8 hours.

Richard Baxter, MD