Exercise after Rhinoplasty procedure?

I have a rhinoplasty scheduled for this Friday 12/6. Like most people, I'm anxious about the general anesthesia. This will be my first experience with it. I'm also anxious about the fact that I will be cooped up at home, recovering for quite a while. I currently workout 6-7 times per week - and I mean INTENSE exercise (Crossfit, HIIT, cardio acceleration). How long after my procedure will I be able to return to the gym? I'm hoping to do light exercise by Monday 12/16. Is that realistic?

Exercise and Recovery After Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)

+2

My advice to patients to is to avoid exercise for 2 weeks completely. Your goal of starting intense exercise 10 days out is a bit aggressive.

From 2 to 4 weeks I suggest a gradual return to your regular program and to resume full activity at 4 weeks.

Contact sports can begin after 6 weeks.

Exercise After Rhinoplasty

+2

First, follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions regarding exercise after surgery. It is wise to wait 6 weeks before starting back to intense workouts, like crossfit. Walking is recommended early in the recovery period. To avoid complications, do what is recommended by your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Exercise after Rhinoplasty procedure

+2
It is not wise to rush into exercise after rhinoplasty. The nose already tends to hold onto swelling for many months and early exercise can make this natural event last much longer than you would desire. I tend to recommend early walks to minimize chances of blood clots after surgery, and light exercise after 3 weeks with return to normal exercise around week 6. You are different as you describe your workouts as INTENSE and you should be very clear with your surgeon before the procedure so you can align your goals in a realistic manner with your surgeon's preferences for exercise.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Exercise after Rhinoplasty procedure?

+1

Most surgeons will recommend a minimum of 2 weeks before returning to exercise. More strenuous activity may require more time off.

Exercise after a rhinoplasty procedure

+1

Most patients are able to return to full exercise with no restrictions at 3 weeks after their rhinoplasty surgery, but so his best check with your rhinoplasty surgeon to look at there postoperative instructions and guidelines.