BR and the Axillary Indentation Between Breast and Armpit? (photo)

Hello....I'm a little concerned about the way my breast reduction came out. Not sure if they are going to drop and am not sure if the indentation between the axillary indentations between my breast and armpit especially on the right side is going to fill in. I'm 5 weeks post- op today. Posting a few photo's of before and after and would like any advice or opinion I can get to reassure me that everything is right. I'm questioning myself and not sure if this is the way they should be. Any thoughts

BR and the Axillary Indentation Between Breast and Armpit?

+2

This result is a good, early result, and tissues will relax for the next 6 weeks to 6 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast reduction and indentations

+2

It looks like you have a nice result from a breast reduction. The indentations you have are the same as before surgery. A reduction does not improve that. You need something to fill the defect( i.e. fat injections)

+2

Based upon the posted photos your 5 week result is very acceptable for the breast reduction. As for the axillary "indents" which were there in the per operative posted photos there still will be present. Correct could be with fat grafting. 

Too Early in recovery to worry

+2

You are so very early in recovery. 99% of things patients worry about disappear in 6 to 12 months.    The indentations will likely go and your breast will drop and look fine.  Recovery is a long process.  In 3 months you will be 60% there and in 6 months 80 % there and in 12 months 100%.   All will be fine.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

The picture demonstrates the transition area between the breast mound in the axillary tail.

+2

In both the pre-and postop photographs there is a definite line of transition between the breast mound and its extension into the axilla called axillary tail. This is a variation of normal.

+1

You are early in your healing process, however the indentation you are referring to will not "fill in", this was there pre-operatively, and the axillary tissue above the line may represent breast tissue or fatty tissue.  This will need another surgical intervention if you want this removed.  Your breasts will "drop" over the next several months though, and this indentation will look less visible, as it did in your pre-op photo. 

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon