Is Smart Lipo and Submental Lipo the Same Thing?

I am having upper eye lid surgery done on Nov 13th. I also want to have lipo done on my neck as well. Is lipo the same thing as submental. The doctor says submental would be better for me because he does not only suck the fat out but he would then tighten the mucscle as well so I do not have to worry about lose skin later. I am also of normal weight. 5"4, 130 pounds.

Muscle Tightening is Different than just Liposuction

+1

Submental refers to the area under your chin.  In this area there are always three things to consider, how loose is the skin?, is there excess fat to be removed? and is there laxity in the neck muscle?

Submental liposuction can be useful for removing the excess fat and also for tightening the loose skin, but it does NOT tighten the muscle or treat muscle "bands" that some people have. Tightening this muscle requires a surgical procedure, either a platysmal plication or a neck lift.  You should speak with your physician more about this to clarify what your needs and surgical plans are.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Submental and Smartlipo

+1

Smartlipo is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a high-powered laser to sculpt the body and tighten the skin. Submental lipo refers to liposuction under the chin is removing the fat from the chin area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Smartlipo is a good way to do submental lipo but not the only way

+1

Smartlipo is a brand of laser liposuction.  It can be used to do submental lipo but there are other way to do it too.  Smartlipo can tighten the skin some and this is important when the skin shows signs of aging.  It sounds like your doctor is planning to do liposuction and tighten the neck muscles.  He or she probably determined that you have muscle bands hanging in your neck and lipo alone, not even Smartlipo, will tighten these.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo the same as submental lipo?

+1

Submental lipo refers to liposuction of the are under the chin.  Smart lipo is a modality to perform liposuction.