What Preliminary Tests Should I Undergo/request to Determine my Candidacy for a Hair Transplant?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. For various years I wore my hair with the same part, and was exposed to a fair amount of sun, as I grew up in Los Angeles. I've noticed some hair loss where I used to split my hair in recent years; I am now 28. I don't think I'm losing anymore hair but it is difficult to be sure. Additionally, I suspect that I may have PCOS, though I do no have a formal diagnosis. Would PCOS preclude my from being a candidate? Much thanks!

See Your GYN

+2

PCOS should be ruled out. Correction of this would possibly stop hair loss and maybe even reverse it. Female patients with hair loss should be fully evaluated by a dermatologist prior to having hair transplant surgery even if they do not have PCOS.

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Candidate for hair transplant

+2

If you have a true endocrine problem you should have a workup by an apprpriate  qualified physician (gynecologist or endocrinologist) before seeing a hair transplant surgeon. I, personally would be wary of operating on someone with untreated PCOS.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preliminary Tests for Hair Transplant

+1

It is important to first determine if PCOS is the cause of your hair loss, or contributing to it. This should be addressed by your primary care physician.
Finding the origin of the condition is part of the testing/diagnosis for any hair loss patient. Thus, other testing may be done to rule out anemia, thyroid dysfunction, hormonal imbalance, and more. In some cases, such as PCOS, the hair loss may resolve itself when the root problem is properly treated, and hair transplant is not necessary.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Pre-Op Testing

+1

PCOS is not necessarily a contraindication for a hair transplant,
however it is important to determine whether this, or some other medical
issue, is a contributing cause to the hair loss.  Your hair loss pattern
is typical in some cases of female pattern hair loss.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

PCOS and Hair Transplants

+1

PCOS is the acronym for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and is a condition where multiple ovarian cysts actively secrete estrogen which can ultimately lead to early hair loss.  You should be evaluated by an OB-GYN and treated if this is the what you have-then it may be helpful for you to have transplants once your hormone levels are normal.

Dr John Frank

John E. Frank, MD