HELP.. Right Breast is Larger and Fuller Than Left Breast Implant-1day Post Op? (photo)

I had surgery and when I got home I noticed my right breast was higher and more fuller than my left breast especially upper pole fullness-more projection. Preoperatively my right breast was smaller than my left- surgeon put 475cc in left and 500cc in right to correct. I already told Phys. assistant and she didn't think it was a hematoma and said to wait for my PS to explain things to me-she agreed its asymmetric- Will my breast stay this abnormal looking? They only look normal if I'm laying down

Modest volume asymmetry after breast augmentation in the short-term is common.

I see nothing worrisome the photograph provided. Minor asymmetries are usually due to asymmetric swelling and will correct themselves over time.

Assymetry following breast augmentation

When a larger implant is used on one side, it is not uncommon for the side where the larger implant was placed to have more fullness initially. Often the smaller side is tighter because of the larger volume implant used. Give it time, and follow up with your plastic surgeon who will be the best judge of your result.

Brian D. Kent, MD
Tulsa Plastic Surgeon

If you are right handed the muscle is contracted more than the left side. Best to see the PS NOT listen to a PA!! 

Breast asymmetry following breast augmentation

At one day post breast augmentation, it is not unusual for one breast to appear somewhat larger than the other.  If a slightly larger implant was placed in your smaller right breast the tissues and breast pocket may well be tighter than the left.  Initially, this can make the upper pole of the right breast appear fuller.  With time, breast massage, and/or a superior breast compression garment this may resolve in the coming weeks.  Cheek with your surgeon for their recommendations.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

1 day post of BBA

far too early assess... things will change and settle in the coming weeks to months.

reasees and visit your surgeon later.

Nilesh Sojitra, MSc, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

HELP.. Right Breast is Larger and Fuller Than Left Breast Implant-1day Post Op

Please be patient.  One day post op is hardly the time to be overly concerned about size and shape unless there is a gross discrepancy.  Just followup with your plastic surgeon and heed her recommendations.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Concerns about Breast Surgery 1 Day Post Op

Congrats on your surgery!  You need to allow time for healing, and the breast to settle.  It is not uncommon for the breast to appear high, or asymmetric during this first few weeks post op.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Concerns about Breast Asymmetry/Shape after Breast Surgery?

Given that you are recently out of your surgery, it is much too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure.  Although I am not able to provide you specific advice online, I can tell you that it is very common for breast implants to appear to “riding high” and/or demonstrate some degree of  asymmetry early out of breast augmentation surgery.
 Generally speaking, as breast implants “settle”, the breasts do seem “fuller at the bottom”.   This “drop and fluff” phenomenon occurs over the course of the first several months after breast augmentation surgery.  As this occurs, patients are generally happier with the shape of the breasts.

At this point, your best friends are time, patience, and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast and symmetric healing after augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. In addition, it is not uncommon for one breast to be more swollen than the other and may even out with time (unless they were asymmetric in size to begin with). It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

HELP.. Right Breast is Larger and Fuller Than Left Breast Implant-1day Post Op?

It is not unusual to have a symmetric swelling after breast augmentation. This can be especially true only one day after the surgery. I do think that it is important for you to continue to stay in contact with your plastic surgeon to work towards the best outcome. Further, if the swelling continues to worsen, or especially if it has pain associated with it, then my concern for bleeding, or a hematoma would direct you to seek out your surgeon right away.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS