HELP.. Right Breast is Larger and Fuller Than Left Breast Implant-1day Post Op? (photo)

I had surgery and when I got home I noticed my right breast was higher and more fuller than my left breast especially upper pole fullness-more projection. Preoperatively my right breast was smaller than my left- surgeon put 475cc in left and 500cc in right to correct. I already told Phys. assistant and she didn't think it was a hematoma and said to wait for my PS to explain things to me-she agreed its asymmetric- Will my breast stay this abnormal looking? They only look normal if I'm laying down

Modest volume asymmetry after breast augmentation in the short-term is common.

+2

I see nothing worrisome the photograph provided. Minor asymmetries are usually due to asymmetric swelling and will correct themselves over time.

Asymmetry following breast augmentation

+2

It is not unusual to have some asymmetry in the early post operative period following breast augmentation - but it is important to see your plastic surgeon to make sure it's not a haematoma.

Asymmetry can be caused by one side swelling more than the other. Over time, the swelling will subside and things will improve.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

One Breast Larger One Day After Augmentation Mammoplasty

+2

I m in total agreement that this is common finding this early in your recovery phase and it is even more common if different sized implants were used.  One point that has not been made is that in the early post operative phase following a submuscular augmentation, the implant on the dominant hand side will often appear higher because of the stronger contraction of the chest wall muscle on that side.   I have found that the use of a muscle relaxant starting 2 days prior to the procedure and 20 days after can often reduce this problem.  Either way I am sure your implant will settle into a nice even position with time.  

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Assymetry following breast augmentation

+2

When a larger implant is used on one side, it is not uncommon for the side where the larger implant was placed to have more fullness initially. Often the smaller side is tighter because of the larger volume implant used. Give it time, and follow up with your plastic surgeon who will be the best judge of your result.

Brian D. Kent, MD
Tulsa Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you are right handed the muscle is contracted more than the left side. Best to see the PS NOT listen to a PA!! 

Breast asymmetry following breast augmentation

+2

At one day post breast augmentation, it is not unusual for one breast to appear somewhat larger than the other.  If a slightly larger implant was placed in your smaller right breast the tissues and breast pocket may well be tighter than the left.  Initially, this can make the upper pole of the right breast appear fuller.  With time, breast massage, and/or a superior breast compression garment this may resolve in the coming weeks.  Cheek with your surgeon for their recommendations.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

1 day post of BBA

+2

far too early assess... things will change and settle in the coming weeks to months.

reasees and visit your surgeon later.

Nilesh Sojitra, MSc, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

HELP.. Right Breast is Larger and Fuller Than Left Breast Implant-1day Post Op

+2

Please be patient.  One day post op is hardly the time to be overly concerned about size and shape unless there is a gross discrepancy.  Just followup with your plastic surgeon and heed her recommendations.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Concerns about Breast Surgery 1 Day Post Op

+2

Congrats on your surgery!  You need to allow time for healing, and the breast to settle.  It is not uncommon for the breast to appear high, or asymmetric during this first few weeks post op.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Concerns about Breast Asymmetry/Shape after Breast Surgery?

+2

Given that you are recently out of your surgery, it is much too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure.  Although I am not able to provide you specific advice online, I can tell you that it is very common for breast implants to appear to “riding high” and/or demonstrate some degree of  asymmetry early out of breast augmentation surgery.
 Generally speaking, as breast implants “settle”, the breasts do seem “fuller at the bottom”.   This “drop and fluff” phenomenon occurs over the course of the first several months after breast augmentation surgery.  As this occurs, patients are generally happier with the shape of the breasts.

At this point, your best friends are time, patience, and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.