I Moved Around the Juvederm in my Lips After Injection. Did I Ruin It?

1hr. after injection I wasn't happy with the product placement in my lips. There was a ton of product in the cupid's bow of my upper lip, and hardly any on the sides. So, I attempted to move the product around myself, and I did it pretty hard. I like how it looks now, but I'm also swollen, so I can't tell if this is how it'll stay. Did I move it around ok? Or did I massage out the product and ruin it? I'm worried after the swelling goes down I'll have smashed the product out! Is that possible?

Juvederm used in Lips

+1

Thank you for your question. Sometimes the product can be massaged in areas where you don't want, so its important to have the injector do all of the massaging. I would leave it alone until the swelling fully subsides and see the final effects in 2 weeks. Return for an evaluation and express your concerns to your provider. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in injectables for the safest and most effective treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

I moved around the Juvederm in my lips after injection. Did I ruin it?

+1

If you put pressure on the lips following injections, it is possible to move the product. However, you would not massage the product out or ruin it. It is not possible to manually remove it. In order to eliminate the Juvederm, an enzyme such as hyaluronidase would be necessary. I would recommend retuning to the physician who performed your injections for a quick exam, as he or she will be able to help determine that the placement of the product is ok and that you will have a good result when your swelling goes down. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Time will tell if shape has been altered

+1

One day after having Juvederm injected may still be a bit early to see the final outcome your doctor intended. We tell patients at Cape Fear Aesthetics to resist the urge to try and “move” it themselves as it can alter the shape, and rarely for the better. I would recommend to one my patients, regardless if they had done that, to wait it out until at least 10 days so that any residual redness, bruising and/or swelling has gone away completely. Then we would recommend that patient come in for their follow up and we can perform any touch ups that may be necessary.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you ruin your Juvederm correction by massaging it?

+1

Massaging the product could cause you to lose your intended "shape". But the Juvederm is still there and hopefully dispersed more evenly.  It's usually best to wait for the swelling to go down before you judge your final results. If necessary you can have it touched up. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Did I ruin Juvederm in my lips after moving it around

+1

Hopefully you didn't do anything, quite frankly. There are arteries in your lips that you need to be very careful around, which is why we discourage patients from pressing on fillers in their lips. You can potentially move the product into one of these arteries and block it. Praying that you didn't do this - nothing is excessively bumpy or purple or black, right? Next time, leave your lips alone and let a professional make any necessary adjustments. You can't smash the product out, but you can definitely alter it - and not in a good way!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm and lips

+1

Only time will tell if you moved it around sufficiently to satisfy you.  I would have preferred that you let the doctor do it or add more volume in areas that you felt were deficient.  Good luck.

Moving around juvederm in the lip

+1

You may have moved the juvederm filler ever so slightly with firm pressure, but I doubt you'll have any problems. Let the swelling go down over the next week, and if there are still any issues, see your physician to assess, mold and/or correct. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon