What's Wrong with My Breast Augmentation? Uneven and Weird Implants.

I had BA Oct 27, textured hydrogel, under, transaxillary, R:320cc, L:290cc. 28 days later, both still look very uneven and weird. PS offer to do revision ASAP (as in right now!) such to reduce bleeding, but from what I've read it's better to wait 6 months before revision? What to do? I can't even decide which side looks better,R/L? Will the left crease drop? Should I massage textured hydrogel? How? I'm extremely unhappy and worried, Please Help.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+4

As you can see by the many answers below, there are natural asymmetries in the breast that are NOT fixed by a breast augmentation.  This includes a difference in nipple height, which you appear to have.  If the right nipple was lower before the surgery, it will be lower after the surgery. 

Many plastic surgeons like to point out significant asymmetries to the patient before the surgery so they will not be surprised that the asymmetry persists after the surgery.  If this issue is not addressed specifically, the patient may mistakenly assume that the asymmetry will be gone, and the surgeon will mistakenly assume that it is obvious that preoperative asymmetries will not be fixed by an augmentation surgery.  A recipe for a dissatisfied patient, and completely avoidable.

With many surgeries, patients panic shortly after their procedure.  It is almost always best to wait and let things settle down.  If the patient feels strongly that things are amiss despite reassurances by their doctor, some patients choose to get a second opinion by a responsible board certified plastic surgeon, who, in most circumstances, will just reassure the patient.

The issues with the legality of the implants used has been addressed by others.

Uneven breast results and timing of revision: VIDEO (breast massage)

+1

In most cases, I advise my patients to wait a minimum of 6-9 months prior to considering revision because there can be significant differences in that time unless there is a more urgent concern such as a hematoma or wound separation. I would not at all describe your breasts as weird or uneven. Pre-operative comparison would also be helpful in this regard. In reference yo your bleeding comment, I am not sure what you mean.

In my experience, with transaxillary approach, it may be difficult to visualize release of the muscle and it tends to take slightly longer for the results to settle. Exercise may help and I have prepared a video for this.  I would wait but that is only one surgeon's advice.

Weird breasts

+1

One month is not enough time to see your final result.  Breast implant surgery is dependent on many factors, some of which the surgeon can't control:  breast asymmetry, rib cage asymmetry, etc.  Suffice it to say that you should give at least 3 months for your body to soften.  As long as your scars are stiff and pink, there is still more softening to come.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

+1

Unhappy patient makes my think from the only posted photo of a POOR informed consent! You did not fully understand the risk/reward ratios of implant surgery. Is your result acceptable? - YES!. But if you do not like it than allowing months or years of settling will not correct your issues. From my view the transaxillary did not allow medial dissection of the pocket, also I bet you were asymmetric prior to the operation so the implant has magnified the differences. Best to obtain other expert in person opinions. Sorry from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Uneven Breast Augmentation

+1

I would recommend that you wait.  This allows the tissues to heal and makes revision surgery less technically difficult.  The distance from your nipple to your crease is different for each breast. It would be interesting to see your preop photos to see if that situation was present but is now magnified because your breast are larger. Secondly, the pocket shape appears to be slightly different.  The surgeon will guided you as to which breast should serve as the model.  Keep in mind the best way to approach a possible revision  is through a crease incision.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

What's Wrong with My Breast Augmentation (textured hydrogel, under, transaxillary)?

+1

Regarding: "What's Wrong with My Breast Augmentation? Uneven and Weird Implants.  I had BA Oct 27, textured hydrogel, under, transaxillary, R:320cc, L:290cc. 28 days later, both still look very uneven and weird. PS offer to do revision ASAP (as in right now!) such to reduce bleeding, but from what I've read it's better to wait 6 months before revision? What to do? I can't even decide which side looks better,R/L? Will the left crease drop? Should I massage textured hydrogel? How? I'm extremely unhappy and worried, Please Help"

Your question is actually 2 questions in one: first regarding Hydrogel breast implants and the surgeons who use them in 2010 and second, the appearance one month after breast augmentation.

First, Hydrogel Breast Implants. These implants were NEVER approved for use in the US. If you had them placed in the US, the doctor broke the law. Two companies, Clover Leaf Products LTD (French) and Somatech Medical Ltd. (German) were the largest producers of such implants and both have withdrawn their products. More importantly, since the implants have been taken off the market in Europe a few years ago making buying such implants even harder getting and using such implants suggests a rather intense focus on using a product which may be unsafe. I therefore would question the training and background of your "Plastic surgeon".

By using different sized implants you know that like 99% of women your breasts were of different size and appearance. While trying to reduce breast asymmetry with different sized symmetry is possible, it is not always possible to eliminate breast asymmetry. Assuming the implants were placed properly through the armpit incision and have not flipped (for your surgeon to decide), then the asymmetry you see is directly caused by the appearance of your breasts from before the surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Wait it out for a while...

+1

June,

As far as breast augmentation goes, one month is not nearly enough time to see the final result.  You need to wait at least 3 months and preferably 6 months to see where the implants will finally settle out.  You also need to look at your pre surgery photos to see what differences in size, shape and nipple position of your breasts were already there.  The fact that your surgeon inserted different sized implants indicates that AT LEAST, the sizes of your breasts were different.  Nipple asymmetries often go along with size asymmetries and your nipple positions were likely different before surgery as well.  A revision can always be done in the future.  Finally, you should know that your implants are filled with silicone gel, not hydrogel.  Hydrogel as an implant filler is not available in the United States.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

"Wierd Result After Breast Surgery"

+1

I dont see your result looking "wierd" at all. 

You have a slightly different shape on each side, due to the fact that you have differing amounts of skin on each side, so the breasts will "fill out" differently.  Nearly all women have this asymmetry.

Your implants are still a bit high and the skin has not relaxed fully as of yet.  Many of these things will get better with time, and another surgery this soon would be a mistake.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Mistake to have early revision

+1

Hi June,

It is very normal to have asymmetries after surgery.  Some are unavoidable, some improve with time and some need correction.  Fortunately, those that require correction are infrequent.  You will not see the "result" until at least 3 months, which is why patients and surgeons alike are best advised to wait at least 3-6 months before considering revision.  It is preferable to wait even longer.  A lot of things will "straighten themselves out".  It is very rare to perform an immediate revision.  I suggest you discuss your preop pictures with your plastic surgeon and determine if these minor asymmetries existed pre-op.  For example, if your fold levels were uneven pre-op, that is important. Changing fold levels has its own problems and you may just want to leave it.  Other than that, wait 3 months and then see your plastic surgeon again.  At that time you both can assess the result and decide a course of action.  Steady, thoughtful assessment and no rash decisions will win the day.  I advise massage only with smooth implants.  Hope this helps.  

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

I would definitely wait awhile

+1

my best guess is that the mild asymmetry the photos show is due  to asymmetry that existed before surgery. most people have some degree of asymmetry, it is normal, and it can almost never be completely corrected by surgery. i suspect that if you do nothing and wait six months, you may well decide that all is good and you may never need to have revisional surgery for this issue.

docs like to keep patients happy, but if you're not pushing for this revision, i can't believe your surgeon wouldn't be content to wait on it as well. 

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon