Is 4 weeks long enough between ipl "treatments"?

I had IPL done once and liked it and then exactly 4 weeks later had it done again. The pain was worse the second time and I noticed, after about one month, that I now have grooves around my eyes that look like dark circles when my chin is down. I wear glasses to hide this now. Others have reported laxity; it's hard for me to tell but i've always taken great care of my skin that nobody guessed my 47 years... Is it possible that I should've waited longer than 4 weeks between 'treatments?"

Is 4 weeks long enough between IPL treatments?

+2

In general, you will obtain the best result with 4-5 sessions that are generally spaced 3-4 weeks apart. 4 weeks is a good amount of time to wait between treatments, and something else may have caused the issues you describe. I would recommend following up with your provider. I wish you the best of luck, I and I hope this helps.

Yes, 4-8 weeks

+1
The great thing about IPL is the flexibility of treatment intervals. So yes, 4 weeks is a good time frame. It also depends on WHAT you are treating with IPL- eg. rosacea, or pigmentation? 
Rosacea treatments may only require one IPL every 4 to 8 to 12 weeks. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

+1

Thank you for your question. IPL treatments can be done every 4 weeks to give you the best result.  With each treatment, settings are increased for a more effective treatment. IPL treatments are good for brown spots, capillaries, and fine lines.  It helps stimulate collagen.  There are other treatments for grooves or volume loss such as fillers.  I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment options. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Time in-between IPL treatments

+1

We generally recommend waiting 3-4 weeks at minimum to see the results of an IPL treatment and to allow the skin to heal and recover such that we can decide whether then next treatment is warranted. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Four weeks between IPL treatments?

+1

IPL treatment generally obtains good results after 6-8 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart.  Therefore, I do not believe that the timing between your treatments accounts for this discoloration.  Without a picture, it is difficult to see the problem you are referring to but a medical professional would be able to examine you in person and discuss possible solutions.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL and frequency of treatments

+1

Three to four weeks is the recommended time interval between IPL treatments.  Your grooves and dark circles should not have been caused by the IPL treatments.  Please see your physician for assessment.  Before photos would be very helpful.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

4 weeks is a safe amount of time between treatments

+1

4-6 weeks is ideal to space out your IPL treatments. I'm sorry to hear that you are noticing changes around your eyes after IPL. I am actually very surprised that you are having this reaction and urge you to go and speak to your practitioner. Sometimes clearance of pigmentation can make other areas more noticeable that were already present before treatments. Pre/post care treatment photographs can be helpful.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate interval between treatments with IPL

+1

4 weeks is a pretty standard interval between IPL treatments.  It's unlikely to be the culprit of the areas of concern you are describing.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

IPL

+1

We usually recommend about 4 weeks between intense pulse light treatments.  I am not sure if what you are describing is actually caused by the treatment or not. I recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation.

Sam Naficy, MD

Time between IPL treatments

+1

The recommended time between IPL treatments is normally 3-4 weeks. Whatever issues you may be experiencing wouldn't be due to your timeframe between treatments. Do you have pre and post photos?

F. Victor Rueckl, MD