Is It Possible to Put a Fold in my Ears? (photo)

My ears do protrude out a bit, but that is not what really bothers me. What really bothers me is the flat top of my ears or lack of fold. I would love to have this corrected!!! Is it possible to correct this lack of fold, and, if so, what would the surgery entail? Thank you for any and all responses!!!

Yes a new ear fold can be created surgically.

+2

Your ear shape is a variation of normal. The antihelical fold is absent in your case but can be created surgically. The procedure is called Otoplasty and is a very popular procedure in our young patients. Here's some information about the surgery

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for an otoplasty

+2

You have the typical appearance of some one who would benefit from an otoplasty.  You have a deep conchal bowl as  well as absence or malformation of the anti-helical fold.  An otoplasty is designed to recreate these natural features.  In older patients the surgery can be performed under local anesthesia if desired.  

Is It Possible to Put a Fold in my Ears?

+2

Yes, it is possible to create the natural fold in the upper portion of your ear. The procedure that would do this is called an otoplasty. This can be performed just on one side or both sides, depending upon which ear(s) trouble you. Seek a highly experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who has performed many otoplasties to minimize the risk of an natural result. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty to create an anti-helical fold

+2

One of the main goals of an otoplasty procedure is to re-create an anti- helical fold  by making incisions in the cartilage and placing permanent stitches to hold the cartilage to its new position. The incision is placed behind the ears and is very inconspicuous. The otoplasty procedure can be performed under either local or general anesthesia depending upon patient's desires.

Otoplasty for prominent ears that are not

+2

Otoplasty for prominent ears that are not "folded" can be corrected under local anesthesia.You need to wear a headband for a week and when u sleep.

Putting a fold into the ear = Otoplasty

+2

Putting a fold into your ear is possible. This is one of two aspects that are typically addressed with a procedure called otoplasty.

The fold that you are missing is called the antihelical fold and special techniques can be performed to create this fold in the ear. In addition, many people with prominent ears have issues with the whole ear sticking out from the head. This is usually due to too much cartilage in the bowl of the ear. A conchal setback technique can be performed to correct this.

See a surgeon in your area with experience in this procedure and he/she will be able to tell you whether your need one or both issues addressed. It is typically done in an operating room setting either under sedation or general anesthesia.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes - the lack of a fold, and the protrusion go together

+2

Hi there - you're actually very astute to notice the lack of a fold.  Many patients come in to my office to request an 'otoplasty' (also known as a pinning back of the ears), and I then educate them on normal ear anatomy, so that they understand how these folds are important aesthetically, and how they determine ear position.

The otoplasty procedure involves an incision that is well hidden in the back, and then stitches are placed through the back side of the cartilage to moderately 'cinch' the cartilage together and create a fold.  Every effort is made to match the opposite site as much as possible.

So in short, yes you appear to be a great candidate for an otoplasty procedure, which should correct the lack of a fold, and the protruding ear during the same surgery.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Putting a fold in an ear

+1
Thank you for the photos. In the adult with protruding ears, otoplasty is the standard method.   This operation is performed commonly.  Many adults are coming in to have their ears addressed nowadays. The surgery is usually very well tolerated. Best to see an experienced surgeon. Ask questions and look at his/her photos.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Otoplasty Candidate

+1

Hello San Francisco-  Ears are funny shaped objects with many different named contours. From your photo, it appears that the 'superior crus', which is an extension of your 'anti-helix, is a bit flat. This superior crus can easily be given more of a fold with an otoplasty and it will make your upper ear appear less flat. If the part of your ear that bothers you the most is the lack of a well-defined 'helical rim', then this is harder to create. It may be that your slightly "flat" helical rim would't bother you as much if you addressed improving your 'superior crus' fold. That is probably the simplest approach for improvement in your case. If it is the helical rim that bothers you the most, make sure that you make that point clear to your surgeon during your consult. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

A common problem I see

+1

This is a common problem for men and women. Most patients are treated before they start school or for some girls, when they become teenagers. The procedure involves making the incision behind the ear and placing sutures to create the antihelix fold and bring the ear closer to the head. It is done as an outpatient under IV sedation or general anesthesia in most cases. I have my patients where the sweatband, while at home, to keep the ear close the head for about two weeks. I can tell when the patient happy with the results because they usually come in for follow-up wearing their hair up, rather than covering their ears

Joseph M. Perlman, MD