What's the best options for my four year old who punctured her top lip? (Photo)

my daughter fell and punctured her lip (picture 1 day of). The ER doctor put glue on it. after 10 days (picture 2) this is what is left and it has moved slightly into the lip line. Is there anything I can do for her? I purchased silicone bandages but is there anything medically either now or in the future that would help the appearance of the scar? Also if i consult a plastic surgeon what specific questions should i ask?

What's the best options for my four year old who punctured her top lip?

+2
Given the complex nature of your daughter's laceration, I think it is healing nicely. I agree that she would benefit from a consultation with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to figure out how to proceed. Resurfacing procedures can begin around six weeks while a formal scar revision, if needed, would have to wait 6-12 months. Overall, though, her early result is encouraging. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar on Lip After Trauma

+2
This likely needed to have been sutured by a dermatologic or plastic surgeon the day it was cut.  Right now it has developed a scar.  The scar can easily be treated with lasers, even this early in the stage of healing.  However, she may need a surgical scar revision.  I suggest coming in for consultation or finding someone who speciliazes in scar treatments, the earlier the better.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Laceration

+1
I am sorry that your daughter was injured.  Wounds can improve dramatically on their own.  However, I think your best bet is to seek the opinion of a respected dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  They should be able to educate you about your options.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon