Had a nonsurgical chin aug. (Radiesse), now prefer chin implant - do I have to wait until Radiesse 100% dissipated to get that?

I had a nonsurgical chin augmentation (Radiesse filler) but now I realize that for my goals, for a variety of reasons, a chin implant would probably be a better choice. Do I have to wait until the Radiesse is entirely dissipated (12-18 mo.) to have the implant operation? Even if waiting is not a "must" per se, would you still recommend waiting until then? Thanks in advance for your input!

Chin implant after Radiesse

+1
You should wait 9 - 12 months to let most of the Radiesse absorb before having the chin implant.
If enough Radiesse remains to make it hard to judge the right size of the implant, you should wait.

+1
Your surgeon should be able to tell where your chin is when he examines you.  I have placed chin implants after Radiesse on multiple occasions without incident.

How long to wait before getting chin implant after Radiesse?

+1
The amount of time to wait before getting a chin implant after a Radiesse treatment to the area could depend on several factors.  The main issue is picking the correct size of implant to use to give you the best result.  If your chin was evaluated by the surgeon prior to placement of the Radiesse, then you most likely could get the implant at any time.  If you only had a small amount of Radiesse placed, then it may also be okay to examine your chin and select an implant type and size.  If there was a large amount of Radiesse placed and your chin was not evaluated by the surgeon who would be placing the implant, then I would say you should probably wait a year.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant after dermal filler treatment

+1
The main issue is that the filler might make it difficult to choose the best implant for you. However, if your plastic surgeon performed your filler treatment this shouldn't be an issue. They should have evaluated you prior to fillers the same way they would prior to a chin implant. The amount and type of deficiency should also be documented in their notes along with their photos. Waiting for the filler to dissipate is never the wrong answer but if you've been carefully evaluated you can likely move forward sooner. However, I would pose this question to your plastic surgeon to know for sure.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant After Injectable Filler

+1
I think that answer would depend on what dimensional deficiences of the chin were not remedied by the injectable filler material and how much volume of filler was added. The issue is all about making the judgment for the chin implant style and size and how the filler may or may not affect that choice.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant candidate after fillers

+1
 A chin implant can be inserted at any time after the fillers have been placed. The real problem is choosing the right sized implant  at time of consultation based on a chin that has been artificially augmented and will be changing shape as the filler subsides over the next 2 years. For many examples and more information, please see  the links below