Can Mini Tummy Tuck (Skin Removal, No Muscle Tightening) Be Done if I Plan on Having Another Baby?

I have a excess abdominal skin (from 2 pregnancies) but am of normal weight. I'm wondering if a surgeon would most likely be willing to do a mini tummy tuck with JUST excess skin removal (no muscle tightening) since I DO want another baby. I fully understand that I will probably need a touch up or a full tummy tuck after finishing having babies, but it would be nice to have a flatter stomach in the meantime instead of having to wait several more years. Would a surgeon likely be amenable to this?

Good Time for Abdominal Surgery?

+1

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who have had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Minitummy Tuck and Future Pregnancies

+1

A minitummy tuck can be performed for a woman who desires future pregnancies, particularly for one who realizes the limitations of the minitummy tuck and the need for future surgery.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of minitummy tucks and tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Yes, your request is reasonable as long as you realize that a mini TT provides only a fraction of the benefits of a full TT and you will certainly be out more surgical fees in the future. But if you accept that fact, I see no reason you can't have the lower skin removed now.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

Your request, which includes an understanding of the downside, is completely reasonable, and you should have no trouble finding a surgeon willing to do a mini-TT. Just to clarity terminology, a mini-TT is one which deals only with the lower abdomen, that below the navel. 

All the best.