How Long Do I Have To Wear Compression Garment?

Varies by surgeon

+1

You will find that most surgeons have a particular preference for what they recommend regarding compression garments. I have my patients wear a wrap-around abdominal binder for 2 weeks after their tummy tuck. From 2 weeks until two months I have them wear a "body suit" type compression garment which they can start using less and less after 2 months. I like the ease of the wrap-around in the first few weeks after surgery and find that the body suit provides more uniform pressure on all the areas that were contoured.

How Long to Wear Compression Garment After a Tummy Tuck

+1

I have my patients wear an abdominal compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks depending on how they are healing. You should check with your surgeon, as each has their own opinion. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

How Long Do I Have To Wear Compression Garment? #tummy tuck# garment

+1

I will usually have my patients wear the compression garment or binder for approximately 4 weeks after the tummy tuck procedure. My patients actually rely on this as it helps to support the tightening of the muscles after the procedure and helps with their discomfort. I think this is due to taking the pressure off of the tissues to allow them to heal during the early post operative period. In fact, even when they are instructed they don't have to wear the garment any longer they still will opt to continue until they wish to discontinue on their own. The garment or binder will fit easily under their clothing so the issue of what to wear over their support is not a significant problem.

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

+1

This question is better addressed to your own surgeon.

This is one area about which there are many differing opinions among surgeons, backed by little or no scientific data. Most of us in practice were trained by surgeons who advised compression, and we have followed what we learned.

I like using compression garments primarily because they secure dressings without having to use tape on the just operated skin. Most patients find them comfortable and wear them for longer than I suggest (3 weeks or so for most). When someone calls and tells me they are uncomfortable, I would tell them to cease using the garment.

If you trust you surgeon to do your surgery, trust the post op instructions! All the best.

Baltimore tummy tucks and compression garments

+1

I usually have my patients where the binder for 6 weeks after surgery in order to provide support during the healing process.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS