I have acne prone skin that is oily and tend to scar, will it pose a risk to get a Nose Surgery? (photos)

I have think acne prone skin that is oily and tend to scar easily. Will this be a potential issue from having a nose job? I would be interested in reducing the size and slight bump, but not an extreme change. I would like to retain my "ethnic" look, but more feminine profile. Thank you.

Thick skin

+1
The main consideration in patients with thick, oily skin is how well the skin redrapes to show the underlying changes in the support structures that are made during rhinoplasty surgery. If you are especially NOT looking for excessive change and refinement, this works to your advantage! From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. I would normally used a closed technique for a nose such as yours with the goals you have expressed.

I have acne prone skin that is oily and tend to scar, will it pose a risk to get a Nose Surgery?

+1
Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for a closed Rhinoplasty.  Your skin type should not have a negative impact on your result.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate with acne prone skin

+1
Acne prone skin should not prevent you from having a rhinoplasty procedure. Thick oily skin usually requires a shot of cortisone in the supratip area of the nose a few times in the first 6 months of the postoperative healing/ recovery period. The procedure can also be performed through closed rhinoplasty techniques to avert any external incisions.

Will acne prone skin that is oily and tends to scar pose a risk to nose surgery

+1
Although it would require a physical exam to be certain, from your photos, I believe you would be a good candidate for a closed rhinoplasty.   In a closed rhinoplasty all of the incisions are made within the nostrils.  This would avoid any external scars and thus would avoid the problems of scarring with your skin type.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Will acne prone skin that is oily and tends to scar pose a risk to get a Nose Surgery?

+1
Generally acne prone skin that tends to scar is not a contraindication to having a rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1
  The size can be reduced and the bump removed through a closed rhinoplasty with no visible scars.  Thus, intrinsic scarring factors are avoided.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.