24 Hours: Duck Lips Post Juvederm?

Yesterday I had a small amt. of Juvederm on one side of my lips to even out past juvie from 5 months ago. A minor touch-up. The bottom lip is fine, however the top lip looks ducky and is so swollen. No bruise, no bleeding and even BUT, the entire top lip is 3-D ducky: I'm surprised given it was a little amnt. on just one side. Why is my entire top lip swollen? How long should I wait before I really worry? I've been doing this a few years, always subtly. I'm concerned and scared to go outside.

Hydrophilic nature of Juvederm

+1

Juvederm tends to attract water, and especially for the first 2-3 days after treatment can make the lips swell up a bit.  Give it a few days to settle down before you worry. 

Juvederm and swelling

+1

Since you only have swelling, which is usual, and no bruising, wait 10 days and if you are not happy with the result, please see your physician again for re-assessment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm lips - Technique is imporant

+1

Wait 7-14 days and if it does not subside then it means that there was too much juvederm injected on that part of the lip. Early on, within days of the injection, swelling may be related to a hematoma or inflammation. Communicte with your physician and next time take some Bromelain before any such injections to reduce inflammation and bruising. A good product is BruiseFighter.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Juvederm swelling

+1

I am not sure if the surgeon gave you a dental block for the Juvederm or if it was just injected directly to the lip. If a block was done then you may have some excess swelling from the injections. You will have some residual swelling from the actual Juvederm injections however this typically subsides in the first 48 hours. Do you have any history of cold sores? If so you may need to discuss this with your surgeon this may be a contributing factor. If not give it another day with some ice and hopefully all will calm down. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lip injections

+1

Whenever the lips are injected, they get swollen. This is common and will usually subside in a few days.

Swelling following Juvederm treatment

+1

24 hours is still soon after your treatment, and you will be experiencing swelling at this time. The swelling can last up to 1-2 weeks, and will gradually settle. I would recommend communicating any concerns to your provider, as they know the extent of your treatment. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Small amount of Juvederm and very swollen

+1

Even though a small amount of material may have been used, you still may have gotten injected several times, so the needle punctures are what aggravated the swollen, ducky lip look you have currently. Ice, and don't press on it! Wait at least a week (2 is preferable) to fully assess it, and then return to your injector if something still isn't right. If you begin to experience pain or strong pulsations or tingling or anything different than normal, I'd suggest you call and be seen. But if not, I assume this would be regular swelling and more from the needles than the amount of the injected material itself.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swollen lips after just a bit of Juvederm

+1

The sudden and noticeable swelling one day after Juvederm is suspect for needle trauma as the cause.  I am surprised that you are not describing more bruising or pain.  If there is significant bruising or undue pain, contact your injector immediately.  You might ask your injector if next visit they could use blunt tipped canulas for injections as these new needles are much less traumatic and result in much less swelling and virtually no bruising. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Duck lips 24 hrs after Juvederm!

+1

Without a photo it's hard to assess how much swelling you have; but if it's more than normal swelling you should contact your doctor and be evaluated to be sure there is no occlusion or compromise to circulation.  If you are experiencing more than usual pain or change in color or sensation you should seek medical attention right away. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Juvederm in Lips

+1

Since it is only 24 hours after injection there is likely some swelling from the procedure itself contributing to your symptoms. I would wait a few weeks for the swelling to subside and the juvederm to settle in before determining whether any correction is needed.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon