Blepharoplasty, Is a ASOPRS Doctor O.k. for Blepharoplasty? Or Do I Need Board Certified?

I am alread scheduled for Blepharopoplasty upper only next month. The doctor is a member of ASOPRS here in Sacramento. Should I only be going to a Board Certified Doctor? He has been doing these procedures for over 20 years but also works on the eyes itself.

An oculoplastic surgeon is the most specifically trained surgeon in blepharoplasty

+2

An oculoplastic surgeon is usually a board certified ophthalmologist who has then spent 1 or 2 years in training focusing ONLY in the plastic and reconstructive surgery around the eyes.  They generally do not focus on other parts of the body like other plastic surgeons.  It is a very dedicated, focused, intense training.  ASOPRS only trains 20 or so fellows in the entire country every year.  These are the best of the best.  An ASOPRS surgeon takes a specific written and oral examination as well as writes a thesis to become a member.  In many (if not all) cases this is more than most board certifications require.  The field of ophthalmology does not have board certifications in its subspecialities, like in retina, glaucoma, oculoplastics, etc.  The board certification is in ophthalmology.  I'm certain that your surgeon is very qualified to do your procedure.  For most oculoplastic surgeons, an upper blepharoplasty may be the most common surgery they do, so someone with 20 or more years of experience has perhaps performed thousands upon thousands!

Good luck with your decision and your procedure.

Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2

As your question suggests, there is a difference between being a member of a specialty society and having board certification in a given specialty. I would ask the office if your surgeon is board certified and in what field. If you're seeing a board certified ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon with 20 years of experience, you're in very good hands. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who should do blepharoplasty

+2

An oculoplastic surgeon is very qualified to do a blepharoplasty especially one who has extensive experience. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

ASOPRS doctor

+1

The physician is a ASOPRS fellowship-trained doctor, superbly qualified. Cannot get any better than that. He is probably a board-certified ophthalmologist.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon