How Long for Implant Replacement After Bacterial Infection?

I recently had a capsulectomy with implant replacement, placement of Allomax and use of a drain. I developed an infection and had the implant and ADM removed 12 days post op. The deep wound culture came back moderate paseudomonas aeruginosa and was treated with the appropriate antibiotic. How long does the implant have to be out before being replaced?

Implant Replacement After Bacterial Infection?

+1

Thank you for your question. This is a surgeons choice, but waiting 6 months to a year is not a bad time frame.  Waiting long enough is ideal. This will be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and you. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Implant Replacement After Infection

+1

Following implant removal for infection and appropriate antibiotics, new implants can be placed in 3 months.

When can implant be replaced?

+1

With an infection, it is best to wait until the infection clears.  Once the infection clears I would usually wait  3-6 months after that and try again.  Good luck.

Breast Implant Replacement after Breast Implant Removal for Infection

+1

The rule of thumb answer is between 3 and 12 months, with an average of about 6 months. The range is wide, because the situations vary. There are two main goal that waiting helps with. The primary goal is to not get another infection, so the infection must be treated and cleared fully before proceeding. This is also why your breast implant and ADM were removed. The second goal is to allow your breast and surrounding soft tissues to heal. Often I will check the scar and the breast tissue for mobility. Once the area has softened, it is much easier to get a predictable result. Sorry for the loss of your breast implant, and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Re augmentation After Infection?

+1

Sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Your plastic surgeon will be the best resource when it comes to estimating the amount of time you should wait prior to re-augmentation.

Most patients who experience this complication are understandably eager to return to the   operating room for breast augmentation.  Again, generally speaking, it is in patients best interests to be as patient as possible…

Timing for re-augmentation of the breasts comes down to a judgment call made by the plastic surgeon who knows your situation best. Some of the factors that may be taken into consideration include the severity of infection, the types/aggressiveness of the infectious organism involved, the pliability/softness of the overlying skin/breast tissue etc.

Generally speaking,  the majority of patients who  undergo repeat breast augmentation surgery after removal of breast implants,  do so successfully.

+1

The minimum recommended time is three months, starting from the time of a healed incision. That is an unusual organism for an implant infection. I would suggest consulting with an infectious disease physician to assist in choice and duration of peri-operative antibiotics when you have your implant replaced. 

Sorry to hear a story like this.  Best wishes.