How Soon Can I Have Juvederm Re-done over Same Area?

Had Juvederm done 8 days ago above my upper lip and smile lines. I repeatedly told my Doctor that I wanted to have the lines above my mouth filled first-I had one syringe.. So he did smile lines done but area above my lip looks like nothing was done on the side that was the most needed it. NOT happy since it was $650 and the part I was most self conscious about not done as I wanted. How soon can I get more Juvederm injected in same spot and should I tell Dr of my unhappiness with his work?

+1

I would wait at least 2 weeks after filler injection before considering reinjection or dissolution with hyaluronidase.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Re-treatment with Juvederm possible once edema resolves

+1

Once the swelling from the initial treatment is gone, additional Juvederm can be injected.  8 days should be sufficient time for this swelling to have resolved.  Your doctor certainly would want to know if you are unhappy as she/he most certainly would want you to be satisfied.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Juvederm For Smile Lines

+1

As a general rule of thumb and depending on the correction desired, most Juvederm injections will continue to bring results for anywhere between 6-9 months. You should visit a board certified dermatologist in San Diego or nearest you to be examined in person.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

You should wait at least 2 weeks before making a decision about injecting more.  1 syringe isn't usually enough for all these areas.  If your doctor was constrained by using only 1cc, then you may be asking for too much with such a small volume.  NL lines alone can easily require more than 1cc.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Second Juvederm Treatment

+1

Everyone reacts differently to fillers. Some people experience bruising and swelling for as long as 14 days. I always advise waiting at least 6 weeks to see the full effect of the result before deciding to pursue additional treatment. Also, having a communicative and open doctor-patient relationship is important. If you plan to continue seeing this doctor, you should feel comfortable communicating that you were dissatisfied with the result.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

How much juvederm is enough?

+1

It's always better to under-correct than to over-correct. You should definitely tell your doctor your concerns at your follow up. I usually have my clients come back in 2 weeks and do any touch ups at that time if necessary. One thing I do not do, however, is let clients dictate how many syringes they need for their treatments. Most of the time one syringe is not enough to give you an adequate result of both your lips and your smile lines. If one syringe is all you had in your budget your treatment should be tailored to give you the best result for a specific area rather than trying to spread it all out.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

How soon can I add more Juvederm

+1

I would see your doctor for a follow-up in the next few days. Technically we tell people not to make adjustments for about 10-14 days after filler (unless something is wrong!) because there is swelling and bruising underneath so adding more too soon can make it more uneven. But if you want it into an area that simply wasn't filled at all, then you can add it whenever you want.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm

+1

I would definitely tell your doctor that you wished he had injected your vertical lip lines first, at least so he knows for the future. In regards to having more injected, if there is no swelling in the area there is no need to wait. Swelling can distort the natural lines and make it difficult to see where more filler is needed. So, if the swelling has resolved, you can have more right away. Most dermatologists offer a half size syringe of Juvederm for less money, so maybe ask if this is possible since it is only the lip lines you still need injected.

Tracy Katz, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon