Popping Feeling in my Breast Implant?

My saline implants are 11 years old, I went under the muscle under the breast. In the past year or so I have had a "torn muscle" feeling in my left breast. There is a slight burning as well. There has not been a change of shape or size however every once in a while I do feel the bag move and/or a popping feeling even as I go to put my seat belt on. Could this be a torn muscle that isn't healing due to scar tissue?

Breast Augmentation Changes

+2

The burning sensation and "popping" feeling of the left breast could be due to any number of changes in your breasts over the last 11 years.  I think is would be unlikely to be due to torn muscle without a clear history of trauma or rapid onset.  In other words... "Doc, I can tell you the day, even hour, that the sensation started."  Some patient's get a thinning of breast tissue with age and saline implants will "knuckle" and place pressure on specific areas of the breast.  You could get isolated nerve irritation or even changes in the breast implant capsule (the scar tissue that surrounds the implant) with time.  All of these things are difficult to diagnose without an exam.  If you are happy with the size and shape and the popping feeling is only occasional... I doubt I'd recommend a surgical solution.  If it persists and becomes more intense, you should start by seeing your surgeon for an exam.  Of course, any specific changes in your breast tissue should warrant an exam by your primary care physician.

My breast implant status

+2

This is not uncommon, and the patients I've operated on with your presentation had no visible muscle tear or abnormality.  If it's really nagging you, can get an MRI of both breasts to check implants and muscle.  Implants can reposition and capsule is dynamic as well.  Relationship with marginal sensory nerves may have changed producing this sensation.  If they look good, my inclination would be to leave them alone. Of course, do monthly self exams and get mammogram if indicated to screen for breast cancer.

Steve Laverson, MD

Hello

+2

The best way to address this question would be to see your PS or your Family practice doctor. Without an exam we cannot say what it can be.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Changes and discomfort with breast implants

+1

The sensation is rarely imagined and often represents a change in the implant position.  I would begin with a mammogram and ultrasound followed by a confirmatory examination in my Los Angeles practice. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast Sensation Changes 11 Years After Implantation

+1

Most assuredly you are not experiencing a torn muscle. Nor are you having a saline implant deflation...at least not yet. These are likely changes in the breast implant and the supporting tissues that have occurred over time. With a visible change in your breast, there is nothing to do for now.I would follow-up with your original plastic surgeon if possible to get a long-term evaluation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD