I have this white Scar on my lower lip that makes me so self conscious I've had it for years. How do i get rid of it? (photo)

I have this White Scar on my lower lip that makes me so self conscious I've had it for years. How do i get rid of it?

Might be post-inflammatory hypopigmentation instead of a scar

+1
So you have had 3 really nice answers by plastic surgeons on this subject. The first 2 questions are how long has it been there and what caused it? Is it in fact a scar or post-inflammatory hypopigmentation? You might try some of the topical immunomodualtors -- Elidel or Protopic -- to see if they can stimulate the pigment that might be dormant. Or you might try an excimer laser which can re-pigment hypopigmented scars or concerns. In fact, both the non-ablative and ablative fractional devices can re-pigment scars. So cutting a white scar causes another scar. I would try other things first to see if surgery is really needed. We have come a long way in this area -- so be careful, or you will have an even larger scar. 

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar on lip.

+1
See a very experienced surgeon for a scar revision. You will always have a scar but I think it can be made much better. 

Lip scar revision

+1
Thank you for the question and pictures.

A scar excision can be performed in the office under local anesthetic. This should make the scar thin and barely noticeable.

Bryson G. Richards, MD

How to treat white scar on lower lip?

+1
White scars are very difficult to make darker.  It is sometimes possible to tattoo a white scar to make it darker, but I think a simple scar revision on your lower lip would be your best treatment option.  The white part would be removed so that it is no longer there.  This would be a procedure that could be done in the office.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon