Is whistling from nose normal 3 months post op septoplasty? (Photo)

I had a septorhinoplasty at the beginning of March this year. I always had trouble breathing out of my right nostril and I still can't breathe very well out of it now. It also makes a whistling noise too. I asked the surgeon about it and he said it's just some inflammation and then prescribed a steroid nasal spray. I'm not using the spray because I don't like the feeling of it. How long will this last? It's quite annoying and I'm embarrassed people can hear it when I breathe.

Is whistling from nose normal 3 months post op septoplasty?

+1
   This is difficult to answer without an exam.  This would not be common.

Whistling after nasal surgery

+1
No – whistling after nasal surgery is not “normal”. It may be due to internal scarring of the nose, persistent swelling or even a perforation of the nasal septum.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Is whistling from nose normal 3 months Postop septoplasty?

+1
Thank you for your question!  Whistling is always a concerning thing following any nasal surgery, especially with procedures on the septum. It is commonly associated with septal perforation and should be evaluated by your surgeon. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Septoplasty with Whistling

+1
Typically if you have whistling in a post septoplasty scenario then this is due to extreme edema or a septal perforation. When you went in for your recheck or follow up examination did your surgeon look inside of your nose? If he/she did and there was a septal perforation then this should have been discussed as it is easily diagnosed.  If not then the steroids were prescribed for the edema. I would have a follow up appointment and if you are not comfortable with this then a second opinion would be advised to obtain the best post operative advice. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Whistling in nose

+1
Whistling in the nose after septorhinoplasty could be associated with persistent swelling inside the nose or a septal perforation. Your surgeon would be able to see this on examination. Perhaps he prescribed the nasal steroid because of persistent edema. Another follow up visit could help. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Whistling

+1
Whistling may an indication of a septal
perforation and should be evaluated by your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Whistling in nose

+1
Whistling in the nose can be a sign of a septal  perforation, especially after septoplasty.  Are you having bleeding and crusting as well?  You should ask your surgeon about this or get a second opinion. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Whistling noise 3 months after rhinoplasty

+1
At 3 months, the healing process is still early (I know it probably doesn't feel that way), and swelling of the delicate lining inside the nose is common.  Have patience.  Based on the photos, it still appears swollen.  This is likely the cause for the whistling noise you notice.  Steroid sprays may speed up the resolution of swelling, but waiting without using sprays is fine too.  However, request that your surgeon examine the inside of the nose too- sometimes a hole (septal perforation) may develop after a septorhinoplasty and give the same symptoms.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Best to obtain a second opinion from ENT or PS to see if other issues are present in  for nasal area...