Tummy Tuck Revisions For Placement of the Scar? (photo)

First of all just want to say thank you to the doctors who take their time to answer questions on RS. I had a tummy tuck in July and I am concerned over the placement of scar. It's an inch higher than what I was promised. My doctor said there was no way even with old belly button hole the scar could of been lower? He did say he would do lasers to lighten the scar or revise it at 8 months to lower. What are the risks of laser on scar or revision to lower scar? How do you lower a scar?

Scar on Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

I favor tying to excise the scar by basically elevating the skin again. Whether you float the belly button or make another scar around the belly button the only way is to re-drape that skin and make the initial incision much lower.

Tummy Tuck Revisions For Placement of the Scar?

+1

First, the result is very good.  Second, the scar can be lowered in a few months. 

How low should a tummy tuck scar be?

+1

I usually place my tummy tuck scars much lowre so that they can be effectively hidden under a lowcut bikini. I have had experience with revising tummy tucks and thier scars in order to lower the scars.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck scar- how to lower

+1

Your work looks very well done.

The limiting factor on how high or low) an incision is relates more to how much is taken out than the use of progressive sutures.

Think of closing a circle, where the edges will not come gracefully together if the incision is too short for what is taken out.

Often it is possible in time to resect more from below the scar (given enough time), further lowering the incision.

There are several in-between procedures between the mini tummy tuck and the full tummy tuck that can give patients lower and shorter incisions.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+1

The scar gets lowered by redoing the TT (partly or fully) and using the abdominal skin to stretch lower, and excise the lower tissue. The second photo looks like a good plan. 

The options will be to do the procedure about as marked, or to do an umbilical float, which would avoid a vertical scar but would lower the navel, and in my experience, most patients wind up feeling the new navel position is too low, even where the surgeon disagrees.  I favor the procedure as drawn. 

Laser may make a dark scar less noticeable, but the scar itself is quite good, hard to improve except for location. 

As to timing, the more patient you are, the more laxity your surgeon will have to deal with (that is good in this instance!).  An evaluation at six months may show you are ready. It may even be OK now, but this requires an examination to determine, not just pictures. All the best. 

Scar placement always has trade-offs

+1

Generally speaking, I am a fan of lower abdominoplasty scars even if it results in a small vertical component (the hole created from where the belly button used to be).  A small vertical scar will often fade with time and can look like a stretch mark... but a high abdominoplasty scar will always look out of place.  It is possible that your doctor could get the scar lower with a simple revision after several months.  Or one could chose to "float" the belly button down a small amount and lower the horizontal scar further.  Lowering the scar more than those two options will result in a significant vertical scar in your lower abdomen.  A lot of this depends on your skin laxity. 

Michael Brucker, MD