How long does swelling after a tummy tuck really last?

I hear most doctor's say 3-6 months but almost all of the women I have spoke to after a tummy tuck still swell well after a year!

Tummy Tuck Swelling

+1

Tummy tuck swelling typically is gone within 3 months in my patients.  It is extremely unusual to have swelling after one year.

Dr. ES

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

Most of the obvious swelling has resolved about three months after a tummy tuck but that can vary depending on each patient. The scar itself can take up to one year to completely heal. Wear your garment for about 4-6 weeks to help expedite the swelling process.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Early versus late swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question.  I think swelling can be considered as early versus late.  Early swelling is secondary to surgery and the body's response to surgery.  Late swelling is related to the ongoing lymphatic healing.  Early swelling is mostly gone by 2 months.  The residual lymphatic swelling may last up to a year.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD