Soreness after massages? 1 week post op (photo)

My PS said I would be able to start massaging after one week post op for ten min, twice a day. A few minutes after I massage them the way he taught me to, they get a little sore all around. Is this normal? Should I stop massaging? Am I doing damage? I'm still taking my meds on time, but still feel a little sore. help?

Massage After Breast Augmentation

+2
That’s a very common and understandable question. Soreness is definitely to be expected at 1 week after surgery, and even more so after massage. Make sure you discuss how much discomfort you’re having with your surgeon in order to assess how forceful you’ve been with massage, and whether you should initiate the use of anti-inflammatories. Your surgeon will walk you thru the process and has your long-term aesthetic goals in mind.

On a side note, congrats!

Please talk to your surgeon just to make sure

+1
Please talk to your surgeon about your soreness following massage. While some soreness is to be expected, it's important that the massage is properly performed so as to not cause further trauma to your breasts. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Massage is one of those things that nobody really has a good reason or explanation for. I actually never use it because I think it causes more harm than good. Please speak to your PS

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Massage after surgery

+1
Your result looks very good and it is normal to have pain for several days to 4 to 6 weeks but this will get better with time.  I would encourage you to continue to follow your surgeons advise.  Good Luck

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
This can be expected.  Be sure to discuss this with your PS.  In most cases, it is normal but again, only your PS can confirm this for you.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Soreness after massage

+1
SDChargerGirl619-

Congratulations on your surgery.  Soreness after surgery is normal, especially this early on. Also, it is normal for the discomfort to increase after massage. As long as you are following your plastic surgeon's instructions you are likely not doing any harm. I would discuss with your surgeon your concerns. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Soreness after massages? 1 week post op

+1
Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; by the way, your outcome thus far seems quite nice. Some soreness after massage is to be expected (this does not necessarily mean you are doing “damage”;  the use of anti-inflammatories, if okay with your plastic surgeon, may be helpful. Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Post op massage

+1
It is normal for there to be residual soreness to the breasts for several weeks postoperatively.  I would expect that you would experience a bit more discomfort after massage.  If you have any doubts about your level of discomfort, please confirm with your doctor that your technique is not too aggressive.

Janet Turkle, MD