Hello, I got a SMAS lift and neck lift with fat transfer to the eye-cheek trough and sides of chin. That was 5 days ago on 3/26.

I am still more swollen than ever! My eyes are completely swollen up! No bruises, just a lot of edema. I am on day 5 of sitting on my duff and I have had enough!! Since the swelling isnt getting any better any too soon anyway, can I just get some things done? Light housework, a trip to the market, a little walk, something???? Im going nuts! My post op and stitch removal is tomorrow. Is there any way I can set myself back by just doing a little bit more today than laying on the sofa? Thank you!

Do not exert your self five days after facelift and fat grafting

+1
You are still very early after your recovery.  Swelling is always worse after fat grafting especially around the eyes and upper cheek area.  This early you should be resting with your head elevated.  With assistance or an escort you may take gentle strolls and walks to help you feel less confined.

Please discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon and follow your surgeons advice and do not follow Internet advice.

Not yet!

+1
You are only 5 days out from a major surgical procedure.  In addition to the facelift, fat transfer is associated with significant swelling.  I recommend you lay low for at least several more weeks.  The swelling will increase significantly if you begin activity too soon, and this may well impact the result.  You have a significant investment in your appearance.  Try to be patient and take care of it for the best result.  Good luck!

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery Driving Her Nuts!

+1
It sounds like your recovery is proceeding typically.  I would recommend that you continue to maintain your current level of activity.  This is a process.  Typically recovery occurs over 3-4 weeks.

Good luck

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swollen after SMAS lift and fat transfer

+1
Fat transfer can cause significant swelling, so it is not unusual that you would still have swelling 5 days after your SMAS lift and fat transfer procedure.  I would think that walking would be okay at this point, but you should check with your own surgeon to see what his or her preference is.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sitting around after a facelift

+1
The best answer to this question is to follow the post-op instructions given to you by your surgeon. If you have questions regarding increasing your activity, call you surgeon's office to have those questions answered. Compliance with post-op instructions is very important. Lack of compliance can result in unwanted complications that delay the healing process and can affect the final outcome.

Todd C. Miller, MD