What size saline should I get if going from silicone 395cc?

Having 2nd surgery in 7 years for capsular contraction on Rt breast. I do not want silicone what amount of saline will give me a fuller look without a lift.

Larger Breast Implant Often Required After Removal Of Capsule

+4

Thank you for your question. After the removal of a capsular contraction the implant pocket beneath your breast will be significantly larger and this larger pocket will make the same sized implant look smaller. Therefore if the patient wants to have the same size breast after removal of a breast implant capsule I typically place a slightly larger implant usually by about 25 cc or 50 cc.

Saline implants of the same shape as silicone implants are available so there is no "rule" that the same shape saline implant has to be a different size than a silicone implant.

To prevent recurrent capsular contraction many plastic surgeons today recommend wrapping the breast implant with a dermal substitute such as Strattice or AlloDerm and using textured implants. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon.

+2

In regards to breast implant size/profile that will best help achieve your goals with the planned revisionary breast, I think it will be in your best interest to spend more time with your plastic surgeon. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation revisionary surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging may also be helpful during this communication process.

Regardless of what you might hear, there is no reliable correlation between volume of breast implant used and increase in breast size achieved.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Silicone to saline implants

+2

The implant size selection depends on what size you are currently and what size you want to be. The difficult part of the surgery is preventing recurrent consular contracture once it has occurred once. Nobody really knows the true cause or causes of capsular contracture despite much speculation and nobody can assure you that it won't occur again. Saline implants have a significantly lower incidence of contracture so I agree with your choice to switch. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Redo Redo Surgery for Capsular Contracture

+2

I think the most important question you should ask is what can be done to prevent a recurrent capsular contracture for the third time. It is my belief that a number of the capsular contractures are caused by undetected colonization of implants by bacteria in biofilms which are attached to the implant and capsules. Changing implants will not always prevent recurrent contractures, especially if the new implant (saline or silicone) gets colonized as well. So, for my patients with capsular contractures I utilize Acellular Dermal Matrix in the pocket which has a proven track record of lowering the contracture rate in patients with capsular contractures.

Placing a saline implant and filling it to a larger volume than 395 should give you a fuller look. However, I believe that if you need a lift, you should have a lift. Overfilling a drooping breast will only temporarily give the illusion of fullness. Over time, the sagging usually recurs, sometimes accelerated by the larger implant. Your plastic surgeon will be able to better counsel you on this.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Breast Augmentation

+2

For your change from silicone to Saline breast implants, it depends a lot on how your breasts currently look and what final size you want to be. As a general rule of thumb, changing the size to a larger beast implant size will not really lift your breasts very much if at all.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Saline size

+2
This is so hard to answer without knowing more information, knowing the size of your native breast tissue, the amount of extra skin, etc. Best to discus in person with your plastic surgeon.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

+2

This will be difficult to answer without pictures or an exam. If you really need a lift, increasing the size of the implants will not help. If you have certain deflational or involutional changes that are amenable to implants alone, an exam will be imperative to determine the size of the implant that may be appropriate.