Scar Revision After 6 Weeks? (photo)

I am six weeks post op and horrified that I might need a scar revision. At my preoperative appointment I brought a low cut bikini panti I wanted my scar hidden under. Six weeks after my scar is well above the undwear I brought in as shown in pic and the center of scar is riding up higher. In our consult my doctor reassured me his "progressive suture technique" would allow him to get my scar very low with minimul loose skin! This scar seems very high and looks like a spar tire! What should I do?

TT scar revision after 6 weeks

+1

From you photos, it appears that you have a nice result! Your tummy looks flat and your scar looks good, although a little high.  Pre-operatively, did you have a lot of loose skin? I ask because if you did not have much loose skin, you may have had to have a vertical scar and to avoid that, your scar ended up riding a bit high.  At 6 weeks post-op, it's too soon to consider a scar revision as you need some laxity in your skin in order to try to lower your scar.  I know it is easier said than done, but try to enjoy your results now, because they are good, and revisit the scar revision in about a year, but make sure you continue your follow ups with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1

Your result looks good but I certainly can see what your'e talking about. I dont  know how loose your skin was before, but assume it was not very bad. In order to avoid a short vertical scar just above your pubis I assume a higher incision was needed to prevent this. Having said this i am sorry to say that lowering the scar at this point will be quite difficult, but could be done when your skin loosens a bit ove time which it probable will do. How long, I don"t know.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with tummy tuck scar location

+1

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done after the fact.  Your breasts look great and your tummy is flatter.  There is no way a scar could be covered by the garment you brought in.  Scars usually are 5+ cm above your genitals... but at this point, you should focus on how to accommodate your scars and try different styles that will cover it.  If your surgeon promised a hidden scar, you have a case.  If not, do the best you can with your results and heal and then see if revisions down the road can help your situation.

Curtis Wong, MD

Concerned about the height of an abdominoplasty scar

+1

Your scar does seem a little high but you are early in the post operative healing period.  I general have the patient stand in the pre-opeartive room for marking.  I have the patient place their hand along the lower abdomen and pull up as tight as they can.  I then measure up 6 cm from the top of the superior labia.  Placing the incision at this level generally keeps the incision low.   As for your situation, give it 6 months and the incision can possibly be lowered depending upon your degree of skin laxity.  

Tummy Tuck; Scar Revision After 6 Weeks?

+1

Unfortunately, at this stage in your recovery, there is not much to do but continue to exercise patience. Best to allow for at least one year to pass before considering revisionary surgery to lower the scar, if enough laxity exists to do so.

Scar revision after tummy tuck

+1

Based on your photos, your expectation was not met from your surgery.  However, it is too soon after your surgery to think about scar revision.  You need to have excess skin in order to bring down the scar lower.  I think you need to wait at least one year to see whether you would have the skin laxity.  Talk with your plastic surgeon and keep him/her informed of your concern.

Sugene Kim, MD

Scar Revision After 6 Weeks

+1

Based on your photos, your scar is higher than expected.   Discuss your options with your Plastic Surgeon.  An exam is needed to determine when you will be ready for a scar revision. You may need to wait 6 months to a year for a revision.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Scar Revision After 6 Weeks?

+1

It is too early to attempt a scar revision.   The scar can be lowered through a variety of maneuvers at 6 months to one year. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scar Revision After 6 Weeks?

+1

The scar is obviously higher than your expectation. Lowering the scar may not be a good idea at this particular time, although without doing an exam I cannot really tell. In order to make the incision lower, the skin from the navel to the current incision must have enough laxity to stretch out another inch or so, and that is not terribly likely just six weeks after a TT. Discuss your issues with your surgeon, but trying to fix this now may not be in anyone's best interest. In six months or so, the skin may be loose enough to accomplish this. 

All the best.