Surgery 2 days ago to remove pseudobursa and persistent seroma, quilt sutures with no drains and now accumulating fluid. (photo)

9 wks after TT and aspiration of persistent seroma for 3 weeks (of 9) I underwent surgery to remove pseudobursa with quilt sutures to close space and no drain reinserted. Doctor said the seroma was 1/4 " thick, confirmed surgery was right decision. I'm 2 days post op and can feel and see fluid build up again. I informed doctor and he said he could remove fluid when he sees me in 3 days. Is this a time sensitive issue? Why is this happening? What is protocol for my situation. Should I go to ER?

Draining a seroma

+2
Dear Pshelp43,

It does appear that you have a seroma.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to confirm this when he/she examines you.  You may want to discuss the placement of a drain instead of periodic needle aspiration of the seroma.  The drain will allow continuous seroma removal.  I would also wear your abdominal binder religiously.  As for going to the ER I do not think its necessary unless you are showing signs of infection or wound separation.

Dr. Remus Repta

+2
You do not need to go to the ER. Best is to call your surgeon to have this checked out. You may need a drain re-inserted to aid the drainage. This can  be done under local anesthesia.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Repeat seroma

+2
You for your picture. This is not an emergency so I will not go to the ER. Definitely you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as you possibly can. A drain may need to be placed in addition to your previous treatment.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Seroma recurring

+1
Unless there is pain, fever or redness I do not see urgency.  At any rate I would sooner see my own patient than have her go to the ER. All the best.