Apple body, 5ft4, 165lbs and 36 years old: Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

Apple body 5'4" 165 lbs 36 years old woman. when I lay on my back my stomach looks flat. I'm done having children. the thinnest I've ever been was at 138 lbs and I was a size 3. I'm currently a size 12. I have to buy really big loose clothing because my body is not proportioned like a girl.

What makes a good tummy tuck candidate

+2

It's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you, but I usually list several attributes of a good tummy tuck candidate:

1.  Excess skin and fat of the belly.

2.  At or around ideal body weight

3.  Looseness of abdominal muscles

Having done many tummy tucks, it's those patients that have these three characteristics that get the most beautiful results.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise advice without viewing pictures.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, to seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients in your situation. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you educate yourself about the procedure. I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

Sounds like a good candidate for abdominoplasty.

+1

After pregnancy the skin and connective tissue of the abdominal wall become stretched out. There also may be an abundance of subcutaneous fat. All three of these issues can be addressed by an abdominoplasty.

Tummy tuck

+1

It is impossible to know without photos. If you have loose, hanging skin and got stretch marks from pregnancy, you probably are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Send some photos and I would be happy to take a look and tell you what I think.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Candidate for tummy tuck

+1

A good candidate for a tummy tuck has excess skin and stretch marks of the lower abdomen. Also, someone who does not plan to have more children is a good candidate. I can not comment any further without seeing a photo of you, but would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for a good examination prior to having surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Your height/weight proportion is suitable for a TT, but without photos it is hard to give you a full answer. If you have loose skin that you can grab below the bellybutton, that is another good indication that you would benefit from the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Without a photo, we are conjecturing but if you have bulging of the abdomen, stretched out skin forming an apron-like effect, or weak abdominal musculature, then you may be a candidate.  You aren't a girl anymore and can't expect your body proportions to be those of a teenager.  The question isn't what your abdomen looks like in the prone position; everyone will appear flatter--but what you look like standing up.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Am I A Candidate For A Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Vickmur,  Without photos or being able to perform an examination, it is difficult to give you a precise answer.  From your description of loose, hanging skin at the lower abdomen and the fact that your abdomen goes flat when you are laying on your back,  you may be a very good candidate for an abdominoplasty possibly combined with liposuction.  Of course, an examination is required to truly determine if you are a good candidate.  Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn what options are best for you.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for an abdominoplasty

+1

It would be nice to see photographs of your abdomen from the front and side positions.  From what you describe it would seem you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  Of course you would need a complete examination and health screening prior to making a definitive choice.  

Candidate for #TummyTuck

+1

Without photos, it is impossible to tell, but patients that have excess skin and fatty tissue are good candidates for a tummy tuck. Patients that have intra-abdominal fat are not. If you carry your fat inside your abdomen then a tummy tuck will not help. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD