Whats The Chance of Capsular Contracture Happening Twice?

So one week out of surgery 2nd time a round went great look great had capsularcontrature got it all fix p.s. said it was from my hematoma I got they look great now feel great so what tha chances. Of me geting c.c. again round smooth saline unders

Same capsular contracture rate with same implants

Dear Valerie Marie, although there are some predisposing factors independent from the implant such as haematoma or dormant infection, the chances for you to develop a contracture are exactly the same as after the first operation.

The only implants which have a significantly lower CC rate are the ones with a coating of polyurethane foam. I know that unfortunately these are not available anymore in the USA, although they were used extensively in the nineties. 

We offer these implants to all of our patients for almost 15 years now, and are very happy with the outcome.

Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Preventing a capsular contracture

Your question is very complicated.  Capsular contracture is not always preventable.  It can occur due to an infection, radiation, hematoma or just the way and individual heals.  Capsular contracture can be minimized from the surgeon's side by placing the implant underneath the muscle. This may be a prudent way to go given that placing the implant above the muscle is known to have a higher rate of capsular contracture. Some surgeons advocate breast massage as away to keep an implant mobile in a capsular pocket. Its effects on capsular contracture are debatable and unknown. Truly because of the complexity, you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with complicated revisions of the breast.

Preventing a recurrent capsular contracture

A hematoma that is not drained definitely puts you at an increased risk of a recurrent capsular contracture.  If it was drained then  you should not have a problem.  

Recurrence of Breast Implant encapsulation after Initial Episode?

Given that your initial breast implant encapsulation was secondary to a hematoma,  it is quite likely that you will not develop this problem again. Generally speaking, however patients who have had breast implant encapsulation ( especially not related to a specific complication such as hematoma) are at higher risk for developing recurrence of the encapsulation. The use of massage/displacement exercises, anti-inflammatory medications, and even ultrasound therapy may be helpful in prevention of recurrence.  See which one of these modalities, if any, your plastic surgeon recommends.

What's The Chance of Capsular Contracture Happening Twice?

Capsular contracture has been reported at varying rates following breast augmentation.  5% may be a fair number, but the chances after one occurrence is higher.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Risk of Repeat Capsular Contracture

Since you had a capsular contracture occur once you are at increased risk of another developing.  With that in mind do all the things your surgeon tells you such as massage.  We do know and I have seen it happen that hematoma contributes to capsular contracture.  One other thing you can do which is supported by evidence.  That is Singulair.  It is an asthma drug that has been shown to decrease capsular contracture.  Ask your surgeon if he could write a prescription for you.  Also smokers are at higher risk.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

A patient with a history of capsular contracture is likelier to get another as complared with a patient who has never had one. 

All the best. 

Recurrent CC more common

In my experience patients with CC have a higher chance of developing CC again. Full capsulectomy, swapping the implant for a fresh implant, and going under the muscle if it was over, are all techniques to help mitigate the CC from recurring.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon