Rhinoplasty with cartilage removal from ear for skin cancer repair. Is it normal to be in such extreme pain?

I had MOHs procedure done yesterday followed by rhinoplasty and removal and ear cartilage to repair my basal cell carcinoma on my nose. It was very close to the opening of the nasal passage. It is extremely painful and every few hours blood is running from the surgical site on my nose and my ear. Is this normal? Is it normal to be in such extreme pain? Plus during the repair he did a few skin flaps. I am in my 30s and nervous. Thanks, Tonya

+1
   Extreme pain would be unusual, and it would be better to contact your surgeon.

Pain

+1
Everyone responds to pain differently. Usuallt the nose is not so painful and the ear may well be more so. nonetheless you should contact your surgeon to rule out hematoma of the ear.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

+1
If you are in extreme pain, contact your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible to rule out infection, and  complications.  In general, the ears usually hurt more than the nose in these types of cases.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Moh's surgery, rhinoplasty, and painful recovery

+1
It is not unusual to have pain after the surgery you've had. Harvesting ear cartilage can be painful due to the necessary bolster that stays in place. If there is persistent bleeding or pain that is not controlled by medication, then I would contact your doctor. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon