Why Would my PS Suggest Waiting a Year Before Getting Larger Implants?

I expressed to my PS that I wanted to go with larger implants. It's been four months since the implants were put in. They are 350cc overfilled to 425 moderate plus. He said that I should wait a year because the skin and tissue were still adjusting and that they needed to become soft again(?). That was news to me. I thought all the stretching and healing was done a couple of months ago. Why would he say that? Is there a good reason for waiting a year?

I want BIG BIG IMPLANTS, AND I DON"T CARE IF MY BREASTS ARE RUINED!

+4

OK, so you want even bigger implants that what you have.  It sounds like you don't care if your breasts are completely deformed and stretched out by implants?  Your surgeon might be concerned for what you look like like when you are undressed, but perhaps you do not?  Most women want to look good when out of clothing, but some women are more interested in how they look in clothes.

Your surgeon might be doing you a big, big favor by waiting for you to cool down and mature a bit before submitting to your request.  Remember that the surgeons first job is to 'do no harm', even if the patient is requesting for harm to be done.  Do yourself a favor and get some more information about the problems that can happen with oversized implants.  The internet is full of stories of women who wished that they could just start over from the beginning, knowing then what they know now.  Every woman has an ideal breast size range that will suit their body.  It is not as exact as a shoe size, but it is pretty close.  Get the implants that fit YOU properly- for your body and breast tissues and they will last a long time and you won't have problems later.  

Giving time before breast implant revision

+2

We typically wait a year before performing scar revision or any other revisional surgery.  The soft tissues are still healing.  Scars look their worst typically at four months and better at ten months to a year.  You do not want to go back early and operate in an hostile field.  Breast implants take time to settle as well.  Continue to be in contact with your plastic surgeon, but try not to be in a rush.  It sounds like he is looking out for your best interests.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/before-after/category/revisions

Waiting after surgery

+2

it is always a good idea to wait following surgery to allow for tissues to heal and soften. I generally will ask my surgical patients to wait a year prior to considering revision surgery. However, if there is a gross deformity, then I ask patietns to wait a minimum of 6 months.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Waiting one year prior to revision and replacement with larger breast implants for augmentation surgery

+2

There are several reasons why one would wait and some may be related to technical and anatomic issues whereas others may be related to psychological issues regarding acceptance and tolerance. I can only guess why your surgeon advised one year.  Larger implants do carry more risks.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Breast re-augmentation to go larger

+2

Patients are usually advised to wait atleast 6 months prior to undergoing revisionary breast surgery. This should be enough time to allow the implants to fully settle which gives you enough time to decide whether you are unhappy with the shape and size of the breasts. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest options for you. I suggest bringing in photos to show the surgeon what look and size you would like to acheive to avoid additional surgery. It is crucial that you communicate with your surgeon and emphasize your concerns prior to proceeding with a revision. Good luck and take care

Waiting longer for revision is correct

+2

Your surgeon is making the correct choice.   Allowing more time for your tissue to accomadate to the present implants,  will make the second operation easier on many points.  Your surgeon may also be concerned that your choice of more volume may have detrimental effects on the skin of the breasts / chest due to the increased weight and is waiting for this potential issue to fully reveal itself.  Besides having to wait, there is no downside to holding off for several more months.

Waiitng after implants placement

+2

Your surgeon has a good point to wait until the tissues have acclimated to the implants you have now. It will only make it easier if you eventually decide to go larger.

Should you wait before going larger with implants?

+2

Most Plastic Surgeon's try to understand the patient's desires for breast enhancement - and how much larger they want to be.  It is important to determine what is an appropriate size for the patient's body - heigth and weight - as well as for the skin envelope the patient has to work with.  Once this has been determined and the surgery has been performed - patients often have a variety emotions - they usually fiorst think they are too big, then for a while they think they are too small, and then usually they will eventually feel they ae just right.

One does not want to operate on a patient too soon because they still may be emotional, they may later change their mind again, and every time you operate on the patient - there is a risk of capsular contracture, infection, and from anesthesia itself.  I personally almost never oiperate on a patient for elective reasons after implants for at least 6 months.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

To wait or not to wait...

+2

Your plastic surgeon sounds to be a prudent physician. There is no need to question him or her.

It is true that it takes longer than 4 months for tissues to get back to a normal pre-surgical state. Most physicians would advise to wait at least 6 months,

However if you really want a revision sooner then you can have it sooner. I have  it many times.  It   slightly may increase your chances for complications but then again the revision does not hurt as much as the primary breast aug.

Good luck.

Switching breast implants for size.

+2

Dear Maryx3:

If you are four months after having breast augmentation, you are still healing. Your breast will change shape and the apparent volume will also change. At four months you still have some additional upper pole fullness, and the skin is tighter than it will be a year from now. 

The suggestion that your plastic surgeon is making, to wait a year before changing implants, is a good one. If you are looking for the safest and most predictable result, waiting a year has two benefits. The first benefit is allowing your body to fully heal. This will give you a stable place to start from. The second is it will give you time to get used to your current implants, and decide how much bigger is enough. Try different clothing, some will fit better than others depending on if you are larger or smaller.

I would also add a word of caution. Implants larger than 350 cc's are more likely to cause problems. Larger implants weigh more and put more strain on your breast tissue. They are more likely to ripple, bottom out, require a lift and have other complications. If you are athletic, larger implants are more likely to limit your activity.

For help on selecting a size before surgery, there are a few hints on my San Francisco breast web site under "Breast Implant Size". Hope it helps.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscobreast.com/breast-augmentation.html#baOptions

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon