Am I too heavy to get TT/MR Surgery?

I am 51 yrs old, 5'5" and currently weigh 217Ibs.  I am fairly comfortable with my shape, so my goals from surgery are moderate.  I just want to remove the apron left from c-section/childbirth, tighten the tummy muscles a little, and maybe contour the hips a little. My PS says considering my goals/desired results I am good to go for surgery. My question is: Am I too heavy for this surgery? If not, what should I weigh?

Too heavy for tummy tuck

+3

It is true that usually the best results will be obtained when you're closer to your ideal weight. However, I have many patients who are above their ideal weight that get great results as well. It really depends upon the skin and fat distribution in that area. If you have excess of fullness in the upper abdomen or on the sides, it is more difficult to get a good result. Judging from your photos your excess is mostly in the lower abdomen which is the area that will be removed during the abdominoplasty. Judging by your photos I think you would get a good result at this point. However, if you got closer to your ideal weight it would maximize your results and minimize your risks. You sound like your goals and expectations are realistic and that is probably the most significant piece of the equation. Whenever you do it make sure that you choose a surgeon that is well experienced and board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Pastic Surgery.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Consider your goals

+3

briefly - more weight loss before the procedure will translate to a better overall outcome. But if you're ok with your weight and you understand the risks, benefits, and alternatives of the proposed surgery - go for it.

Michael A. Baumholtz, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction or weight loss will improve your result

+2

Thank you for your question. From your photograph it appears you do have some fat beneath the skin. A tummy tuck results are always better when you are closest to your ideal weight. If you can lose further weight that would be the best option. However another option would be to have the tummy tuck with liposuction of the upper abdominal skin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Pre op weight

+2
You will get the best results from tummy tuck surgery by being as close as possible to your ideal body weight.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Am I too heavy to get TT/MR Surgery?

+1

The risk of complications at that height and weight will be greater, but you do not have to be at goal weight to have a tummy tuck.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Realistic Expectations for Tummy Tuck

+1

From my reading , I can feel that you understand pretty well what can you get from a Tummy Tuck, since you are prob not in the "ideal weight" ..I can anticipate that you will feel and look much better after this surgery. I can not see way not.. Good Look

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Too heavy for TT surgery

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

It would be optimal for you to be at your ideal weight. Further, having a BMI (body mass index) greater than 30 increases the risks of complications from surgery. So I would recommend that you lose more weight before undergoing a full tummy tuck. After you have done so, I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD