How do I avoid getting the uplifted triangular shaped nostrils I see so often on westernized Asian rhinoplasties? (photos)
Doctor Answers (7)
Nostril shape from Asian rhinoplastyy
Asian rhinoplasty tip changes
A proper analysis and a combination of techniques is necessary to avoid this unnatural look.
For example , care must be taken when reducing nostrils to avoid visible scars while persevering some curvature when transitioning from the alar to the cheek.
The overly rotated tip with nostril show may not be apparent early after the rhinoplasty but occurs over time as the nose contracts. To avoid this, enough structure should be left or added to the nose when modifying the Asian nasal tip.
The triangular shaped nostril after Asian tip rhinoplasty results partly from skin contraction along the nostril rim when cartilage support of the nostrils are inadequate.
We published a paper on the use of alar rim grafts to help contour the nostrils.
You might also like...
Asian rhinoplasty, avoiding triangular nostrils.
Asian rhinoplasty - avoiding the M shaped nostril deformity
The incision for reduction should be on the underside of the alae. †his results in a more natural appearance and hides the scar better.
Notched nostrils after rhinoplasty
- To avoid notched or triangular nostrils, you can place grafts along the rim of the nostril
- These grafts smooth the transition of the nostrils so that you do not get the notching
- You can raise the bridge and lower the tip with cartilage grafting
- Depending on your anatomy, you may need extra cartilage (such as rib) for that kind of work
- When you are ready, please see a rhinoplasty specialist who can address all of your concerns
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.