I Am 12 Days Post Op and Am in Severe Pain. Abs Are Hard and Lumpy? (photo)

I have severe pain, hardness and lumps after 12 days post op tumescent. It seems that as soon as I stopped draining (day 9), all this began occurring. I am still wearing garment and binder. Is this normal? Am I ok? Please advise. Thanks.

Post Op Liposuction

+2

At just 12 days after surgery it really is too early to get worried about lumpiness.  It sounds like you are doing everything right at this point.  At your post op appointment, your surgeon can assess if there is fluid build up (seroma) or just swelling.  I have my patients work on massage of the abdomen and also stretching after the first week post op.  You may want to ask your surgeon if this would be helpful for you.  Finally, it would be helpful if you posted "before" pictures so we can better assess your results.

Good Luck.

Postop from Liposuction

+2

It is normal to have some irregular areas of swelling, bruising, and 'lumpiness' in the first several weeks after liposuction.  Continue wearing the compression garments.  Those will help shape you and reduce swelling.  Once you are not too tender, massage can help soften out any irregular areas.  Fluid collections and infections are possible although rare.  Watch for any unusual redness or warmth and call your surgeon if that develops.  Your surgeon should be able to rule these issues out upon examination of you in follow up.  But remember, your final liposuction result will not be evident for several months.  So, give this some time.  The pain is typically not severe with liposuction but it can vary.  This too should get better gradually, but your surgeon may have ideas for how to best manage it in the interim. 

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Severe pain 12 days after Liposuction

+1

Whenever any of my patients have a change in pain more than a few days after surgery, I usually see them in the office to sort out the problem.

Severe pain hardness & lumps after liposuction

+1

After looking at your photos, the central aspect of your skin appears quite pink, and this could be a sign of infection, cellulitis.  Because you are complaining of severe pain, I would tell you to run, not walk, to your surgeon immediately.  If this is indeed an infection, you need to be treated right away.  This may not be infected, but better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How to manage lumps and bumps after liposuction?? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello Chewbug,

It will take many months for the swelling and remodeling of the treated area to settle down.  I encourage my liposuction patients to start massaging (2-3x per day) and begin endermologie right surgery.  I find this is very helpful in reducing the edema, shaping the figure and providing comfort.

Ask your surgeon if it is OK to try these things.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and firmness

+1

When a patient is early post-op after liposuction, they may experience some areas of irregularity and firmness. Often with time this improves. If concerned speak to your surgeon.