Infection or Delayed Healing? (photo)

Had lift and implants 3 weeks ago. Did well first two weeks. Last Monday I noticed redness where incisions meet under the breast. Nurse told me to apply Desitin and call I it didn't resolve in 2 days. It got more painful and I saw my doctor Thursday. She prescribed an additional round of antibiotics and told me to put Neosporin on them. They no longer hurt, no fever but the left looks like it has pus and its a hole now. Hoping this doesn't mean my implants are infected.

Infection or delayed healing

+2

It doesn't look like an infection from the pictures or your simptons. Keep using the antibiotic creams your doctor already prescribed to you. Its only a matter of time to heal. It usually delays to heal, just be patient and keep visiting your doctor.

Infection or Delayed Healing?

+1

You need to see the surgeon! Very possible a skin incision infection vs infected implant. BUT ONLY the surgeon of record should be deciding this NOT a nurse! 

Infection or delayed wound healing

+1

It is not possible to say definitively from your pictures whether this is delayed wound healing or a mild infection.  An in person examination by your surgeon is the best thing at this point.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Delayed healing

+1

is more likely but if it progresses, it could certainly  be more than that.  If your lift was done with a healthy layer of tissue between the implant and the surface there is less risk for this to progress.  But stay in contact with your doctor... she knows what is under there and what risks  you have.

Curtis Wong, MD

Need to be examined by your plastic surgeon

+1

If you are only having a problem at the base of the inverted T incision then it may be due to an infected suture.  I think a visit with your plastic surgeon is indicated instead of taking advice from this forum or the nurse over the phone.  If this progresses to a full fledged abscess you could potentially get an infection of the implant.  

Implants with mastopexy

+1

That site has the weakest blood supply and is the most common area for problems with a mastopexy with implants. Incision problems there are usually superficial to begin with and do not involve the implant pocket. The fact that it got better on antibiotics and you have no fever is a good sign. It is less likely that you have an infection around your implant based on that history. There may be an exposed suture in the base of the hole you describe. If so it would need to be removed so your tissues can heal in over that spot. Also, Neosporin can result in a redness and rash when applied repeatedly, which only confuses the situation. An alternative might be bacitracin ointment or Bactroban. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Wound of breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and I am glad your surgeon is taking your condition seriously.  Unfortunately you do have an infection and the hope is to keep it superficial.  It could be a suture that is infected.  Please be seeing your surgeon regularly to evaluate and make sure the infection does not involve your implant.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Infection or Delayed Healing?

+1

Hello

Looking at the photos I would think you have a superficial infection and it should be treated aggressively with antibiotics as your implants are very recent.  If it does not start to improve in the next 24-48 hours then you should contact your surgeon and communicate this.

All the best

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

This incision angrier than usual after breast augmentation.

+1

Breast augmentation infection is extremely uncommon. The wound looks quite angry after the augmentation which would make one worry about infection. The fact that it is on the mend is good prognostic sign.

Infection or Delayed Healing?

+1

Dear Bodybybabies,

thank you for your question and photos.  Unfortunately it is difficult to see what is going on in the photos due to the lighting/shading.  In general, if you have redness that is expanding, or drainage from the wound, or see implant, then you have an exposed implant or infection.  If the area is discolored, but stable, and even if you lose a little skin but the deep tissues covering the implant are intact, then there is a low chance of infection, just some pressure on the tissue.  Visit your plastic surgeon often during this period for regular assessments.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon