I Am in my Early 50s and Interested in Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

Please review my photo - as you can see my lids have drooped over time and there is puffiness below my eyes. What do you recommend - and what is the healing process in terms of time and pain for this type of procedure. Thank you.

Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty)

+2

Hello Mr. Sammamish,

An upper and lower eyelid lift also known as a blepharoplasty can help to rejuvenate the appearance of your face around your eyes. Although the photo is not ideal, I do see the drooping of upper eyelid skin in addition to a left eye drop (ptosis). An upper blepharoplasty can help to remove the excess skin to the upper eyelid and give the surgeon access to remove any excess fat in the upper regions of the eye in addition to help correct the drop if it truly exists (an actual exam will help).

The photo also shows heaviness to the lower eyelids and weakness to the lower structures of the lower lids such as fascia and musculature. A lower eyelid lift will help to improve all of these problem areas. I do recommend an exam by a qualified surgeon to ensure that you get the correct procedures done while undergoing these eyelid lifts. I also recommend getting visual field testing to ensure that your problem is not just cosmetic, but also a functional issue that may be covered by insurance.

Time for recovery for my patients is usually a week with suture removal at 5 days. Pain is minimal if no major reconstructive or corrections are needed.

Best of luck.

You are a good candidate. Some tips to retain a masculine with conservative upper and lower eyelid surgery

+1

After looking at your photo, I can definitely say that you are a candidate for eyelid surgery. I would like to take this opportunity to help you understand how to distinguish the type of eyelid surgery that you are a candidate for.

The upper eyelids have relative skin and the lower eyelids have puffy bags that we refer to as lower eyelid fat prolapse. Lower eyelid prolapse means that the fat that’s normally behind the eyelids has pushed forward to create this puffiness called herniated fat. In addition, as we get older, the lower eyelid skin has a tendency to get deeper lines and sometimes some discoloration related to sun exposure as well as a little bit of laxity.

You can identify a lot of male actors who have overdone eyelid surgery. All you have to do is go to the supermarket and see all the magazines that portray different types of cosmetic surgeries that people have had. The most important thing in doing cosmetic eyelid surgery for men is to retain a natural appearance.

If you always had a certain amount of fullness over your eyes, then it’s unnatural to have too much hollowness or too much skin removed to the point where there’s a lot of space. Sometimes, a plastic surgeon that means well takes away some wrinkles on the lower eyelids by making an incision on the outside and removes some extra skin. Unfortunately, what happens is you get a pulling down effect that's called lower eyelid retraction. The patient eventually has a rounded eye effect. So the art to eyelid surgery is being conservative and doing just a certain amount of skin incision on the upper eyelid and maybe a small amount fat removal on the lower eyelids or even a certain amount of fat reduction. A lot of times I combine that with fractional CO2 laser as well as platelet-rich plasma.

The best idea for you at this point is that you interview cosmetic surgeons and look at samples of the results. The idea is to ensure that when people see you, no one looks at you and complements your eyelid surgery. Someone should look at you and say that you look like you’ve lost weight. The idea is to maintain a certain masculine appearance. I hope that was helpful to you, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery in men.

+1

Your lids look really, really heavy and removing some of the excess skin and fat from your lids would improve your appearance and make you look (and maybe feel!) less tired.  I can't really judge from your photo if your brows need a little lift, but they might. 

It's super important that you have conservative surgery, meaning that not too much skin and fat is taken and that the brow isn't lifted too much.  You do not want the area around your eyes to look too feminine.  I could mention a few famous men who look pretty bizarre after plastic surgery, but you probably already know who they are.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Possible candidate for eyelid surgery

+1

Your photo is a bit dark, so it's difficult to fully evaluate you.  It appears that there is some asymmetry to your eyebrows, with one being lower than the other.  This in turn, would cause the eyelid on the side with the lower brow to be more droopy than the other.  For the upper eyelids, the simplest solution would be to perform upper blepharoplasty, although this will not affect the brow asymmetry.  The only was to address the brows would be to do so with a brow lift, although in a male, the brows should not be raised significantly.  If there is puffiness below the lower eyelids, than surgery can address that issue fairly easily.  For just upper and lower blepharoplasty surgery, the recovery period is about a week.  There is normally minimal pain involved during the recovery period.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

No reason to wait any longer

+1

It appears from the photo that you would benefit from at least an upper eyelid lift (bleph).  This would help open up your eyes and make them look less tired and heavy.  It would not change your brow position which appears a little low.  The procedure can easily be performed under local anesthesia with light sedation by mouth.  You would function very well after a day or so.  Bruising may linger for a week or so but sunglasses would cover this up during the healing phase.  A lower bleph may help you as well but I would rather see you in person to make an analysis.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Eyelid surgery for hooding and puffiness

+1

It is really not possible to give specific recommendation without a complete examination in person since a single photo does not give adequate information about your anatomic detail. In addition, the procedure performed has a lot to do with your goals that need to be discussed fully with your surgeon. One generalization is that you should think about being more conservative in whatever you do as excessive changes in males tend to look artificial and feminizing.

Robin T. W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Interersted in eyelid surgery

+1

From your photograph it does look like you would benefit from upper eyelid blepharoplasty to remove some excess skin. I can see how you do have some lower eyelid puffiness as well.

From your photo I detect a fair bit of volume loss tot he lower lid and cheek region, which commonly occurs as we age. Improving the fullness in that area with fat grafting or fillers can help quite a bit in improving the appearance of the lower lid region. It is also possible to conservatively remove excess lower eyelid fat as well if that appears to be present.

You can learn more about blepharoplasty at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

I Am in my Early 50s and Interested in Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Based, on the photo provided, the upper eyelids show excess skin.  The lower eyelids appear to have excess fat.  An Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) would address these issues.

Blepharoplasty in a man

+1

Based solely on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for upper eye lid surgery. You may even be a good candidate for a brow procedure as well. Best to be seen in person.

Male blepharoplasty works well.

+1

Hi.

1)  In a woman with similar anatomy, one would recommend a brow lift, but esthetic standards are different for men, and I would leave your brows alone.

2)  Great candidate for upper blepharoplasty.

3)  Lower lids are trickier and require more study.  Cannot really evaluate them from your picture.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)