Taking Amoxicillin Before and After Surgery?

I have researched plastic surgeons in my area and have been unable to find one that has experience in doing the procedures that I want. (BBL,LIPO,TT,FG)I will be traveling abroad for PS and im concerned that I may catch something like MRSA while in transit. Is it safe to take amoxicillin before and after my SX in order to prevent this? what are some other precautions I can take?

Getting a surgery done abroad

+3

I would really discourage you to get your surgery abroad.  Although there may be good plastic surgeons abroad, in a rare instance that you develop post-operative complication, it will be difficult for you to go back to your plastic surgeon.  Having a plastic surgery is not just one time thing; you will need to be seen and followed-up postoperatively to make sure that you and your scars are healing properly.  

Your safety and result should be the paramount importance in deciding your plastic surgeon.  You should have several good options in plastic surgeons in your area.  Please visit ASPS website for names of board-certified plastic surgeons in Salt Lake.

By the way, Amoxicillin does not treat or prevent MRSA.

Procedures overseas

+2

To find a plastic surgery in your area, you can either use this site or the website for the american society of plastic surgeons (I've left the link for you below).   I strongly caution you about having your procedures done overseas.  You are already concerned about infection. Ask yourself who will manage your care if god forbid you experience an infection or postoperative complication.  Please find a board certified PS in your area.  Remember, safety first.  Best of luck.

Dr Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+2

Hard to imagine there is no one in Salt Lake City who isn't very experienced in these procedures. Travelling abroad for surgery has many hazards, not the least of which is finding someone to care for any complications once you have returned home. The cost for care of any such problem can dwarf the savings. 

MRSA is typically not sensitive to amoxicillin. Most of the surgical literature recommends only a single dose of antibiotics at about the time of incision to minimize the chances of wound infection, so I wouldn't be one to suggest pre-treatment. 

At any rate, you would need a prescription for an antibiotic, so consulting with a travel specialist in your area may be the best advice. He or she might also be able to suggest a local plastic surgeon experienced in these common bread and butter procedures you are considering.

Surgery abroad

+1

Whoa there, let's back up a few steps.  The issue of whether you should be taking amoxicillin should be the least of your concerns.  I am sure there are plenty of competent surgeons in Salt Lake City and would encourage you to have the surgery there.  You may not have found someone who it willing to do the BBL and that is for,a very good reason.  It's a lousy operation!  The combination of procedures you are discussing can take a while to recover from and it can be several weeks before you are truly out of the woods as far as avoiding problems.  traveling abroad for any plastic surgery is always risky but especially for the combo of procedures.  Find a good plastic surgeon in Utah.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Mommy Make Over Here or Abroad

+1

Do not go abroad for surgery. You can find excellent Board Certified plastic surgeons in every state in the USA. Contact the ASPS - American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Every plastic surgeon in private practice can do these procedures. Plus - 

• MRSA is a hospital-acquired infection
  • Treatment requires intravenous Vancomycin. Amoxicillin is ineffective.
  • Surgery abroad is much much riskier - for reasons including less information about the surgeon and lower standards for anesthesia and hospitals in most countries.
  • If you insist on doing this, at least go to a Plastic Surgeon who is an international member of the ASPS. 

With all due respect, I believe you are putting yourself at needless risk. Please reconsider.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

You may be making life decisions here....

+1

Hi there-

Because my practice is in Florida, a large number of people have Latin-American roots. Many of these people (and sometimes their friends) go to various nations to have plastic surgery performed at greatly reduced fees. My office gets at least a phone call a week from someone who has been to one of these countries, had surgery, returned home to the US, and then developed a significant problem...

Because they had already spent all of their money and time off of work, they usually are not in the position to return to wherever they had their surgery done for treatment, and now are in the position of having to find a surgeon here who is willing to take care of them- a very difficult thing to do.

You should be able to find a qualified surgeon closer to home.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Traveling abroad for plastic surgery because you can't find a surgeon to do what you want in the US is a recipe for disaster.

+1

If you have interviewed several good surgeons and none agree to your list of procedures, there must be a reason.  Going abroad is dangerous and ampicillin isn't going to provide any level of safety.

Surgery Abroad

+1

Interesting question. I just saw a lady yesterday who very thoroughly researched a doctor in India, with incredible US credentials and traveled there and spent many thousands on her facial surgery. She did not get what she thought she would, and what she did get was of poor quality. Now the very eager and pleasant surgeon will not answer her emails and she has no recourse in that country and she will spend far more than she saved on the trip in redoing all of the poor quality  work. Not to mention going through the pain and recovery all over again. Better give your plan more thought.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Staying local is an option.

+1

If I understand the abbreviations that you are using, these are indeed procedures that we perform commonly here in Utah.  I myself do the Brazilian Butt Lift, liposuction, tummy tuck, and fat grafting for the right indications.  It would surprise me to find out that there are not others in the state who also do these procedures.  Perhaps you haven't been successful in contacting the correct people.

Medical tourism is an activity that I would strongly discourage.  The distance away from home and the uncertain conditions that you may face abroad make the decision a poor one.  Indeed, if you develop a complication after your return home, you may find it impossible to arrange assistance in caring for a problem that developed as the result of surgery elsewhere.

Your are welcome to personally reply to me for further information if you are interested.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Don't do it!

+1

Getting your plastic surgery outside of the United States is something I highly do not recommend.  Sure, it may be a little cheaper but ultimately it will not be worth it.  Why gamble with your life?  Why gamble with your looks?  It just doesn't make any sense.  In the US, plastic surgeons who are board certified and members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), go through the highest level of training and qualifications in the world.  We take pride in the work that we do and we do so everyday and do it safely with the best interests of our patients at heart.  When you go abroad, you are literally rolling the dice. So, please have your surgery done in the U.S. 

And amoxicillin will not protect you against MRSA.  MRSA is resistant to all penicillin containing antibiotics like amoxicillin.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon