Saline Vs Silicone?

I am considering getting a breast augmentation, however I am undecided btw Saline and Silicone. I was set on Silicone but after hearing all the complications and risks that go along with it am now unsure. I have read and heard different things on both and this only consfuses me further.

Silicone vs Saline Breast Implants, Both Are Safe

+2

Thank you for your question. Modern FDA approved Silicone Gel Breast Implants are safe and much improved over Gel Implants used in the 1960's-1980's.

Choose the implant that you feel will give you the best result.

Most women today in my practice choose Silicone for the following reasons:

1. Natural feel
  2. Less risk of visible folds along the side of the breast
  3. No risk of deflation

See an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for advice.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-breast-implants/silicone-gel-vs-saline-breast-implants-which-is-better/

Saline versus silicone gel implants

+2

There are pros and cons to both saline and silicone gel as well as the different incision sites used and the decision to place the implants above or below the chest muscle.  There are entire chapters devoted to this topic so I won't go into great detail here.  I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon that you like and go by his/her recommendation.  The plastic surgeon you choose should cover all of the potential pros and cons, risks and benefits during your consultation.  I would go by the advice your receive from a plastic surgeon rather than random information gleaned from the internet.

Silicone versus Saline Implants

+1

Get all the information you can and make a comparison checklist.  I'm not sure what risks you are worried about with gel implants as there are not very many.  Still, make your checklist and it should become apparent.  And if still confused, talk to your surgeon.  With knowledge of your goals and expectations, he/she could make a recommendation for you.

Choice + saline vs silicone , breast augmentation

+1

My Preference as a female doctor is to provide what i consider to produce best results in healing and texture. I prefer the inferior areolar incision , because it usually heals unnoticeable , since it is placed right where the colors change between areola and breast skin . As for implants , i go for the gel filled  , they have great projection , texture and duration .    There is no perfect choice , there will always be a  con and in the end you will have to make a choice together with your surgeon and trust his / her expertise .

Best wishes 

Saline Vs Silicone?

+1

I perform all 4 approaches to breast augmentation and use every type of implant.  I think that there are better choices for certain types of anatomy and better approaches for certain anatomical considerations.  The plastic surgeon should be able to help you sort this out in an efficient manner in 5 minutes or less.  This does not have to be a stressful decision.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php

Saline vs Silicone

+1

Thank you a very good question.  I offer both types of implants to my patients however for many years now the implant that most women in my practice choose is silicone gel.

The advantages of the silicone are that it feels more natural than saline and it tends to ripple and wrinkle less than saline.  Its main advantage, in my opinion, is that it does not leak. This means it will last longer than saline. Saline has as its advantage it costs less and can in most cases be placed through a slightly smaller incision than a silicone implant. It may also have a slightly lower chance of capsular contracture.

Ultimately, you will have to decide. I believe the best advice will come from your plastic surgeon rather than stories from strangers on the Internet or from friends and or family members who may just be speaking from the experience of a single operation.

You should have several consultations and choose the board certified plastic surgeon with whom you are most comfortable and get the advice from your surgeon that will allow you to make the best decision not only with regard to type of implants but also incision site and position relative to the pectoralis muscle.

Best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs Silicone

+1

Both sets of implants are good choices it really depends upon what your preference is.  I offer both and the patients choose.

Saline vs Silicone Breast augmentation

+1

Hi Skylight

thanks for the question. This is a common concern. The good news is that both are FDA approved and very safe. Second, both will give you bigger fuller breasts and depending on the size / shape / profile, will help you achieve your goals. In other words, there is no wrong choice. The question about safety has been answered and the silicone is very safe. I place both under the muscle. Both have a lifetime warranty against rupture. The silicone are typically more expensive, but do have a more natural feel. In clothing they look about the same. 

You should take the time to have several consultations with a board certified plastic surgeons in your area who can best answer your questions in person and help you with your decision. 

Best to you. 

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Saline Vs Silicone?

+1

There are pros and cons for every decision in breast surgery, and choice of implant material is one. Most surgeons and patients prefer the more natural feel of silicone. For a patient with a modest amount of breast tissue and a small implant, the difference is less significant. For a woman with small breasts and larger implants, the difference is greater. 

Better than trying to resolve this online is to have a full discussion of pros and cons with a plastic surgeon at a consultation. All the best. 

Saline or silicone

+1

Hello skylight,

You are right to be cautious and to research this topic before embarking on breast augmentation.  This is a cosmetic procedure but is still major surgery that will have consequences for the rest of your life.

There is still much debate and confusion over the silicone / saline choice.  Silicone implants were rumored to cause rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases affecting the joints.  This has now been disproven.  If the implants burst there may be local irritation from the silicone but not the systemic illness that was claimed previously.

Silicone implants generally look and behave more like natural breast tissue rather than saline implants which are more prone to rippling and sloshing around.

Excellent results can be obtained with both types of implant.  My personal preference is for silicone implants but i would suggest you take the advice of your chosen plastic surgeon.  They will be able to deliver better results using the implant they are familiar with.

Good luck

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon