Submuscular Saline Versus Silicone?

I am 45. Had two babies, gained and lost weight. Watched my breasts go from a nice C cup to a saggy B-. I want breast implants and a lift. I do not want silicone implants. How less real with saline implants feel if put under the muscle? I only want 335cc's.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
If put under the muscle the issues with saline are basically gone because you have the muscle on top covering the implant so the amount of rippling is decreased

Saline implants under the muscle

+1

Thank you for your question. It depends on how much of your own breast will pad the implants.

Saline implants feel like a plastic bag filled with water. If you can feeling your ribs through the side of your breast, then you will be able to feel the implant shell.

If you have a good bit of your breast padding the lateral part of your breast, then you won' t be able to feel the implants as much.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Saline implant feel versus silicone.

+1

While it is no question that silicone implants feel more "natural" than saline, the amount of tissue coverage can mask this to a high degree. Submuscular coverage definitely helps with the upper pole of the breast. The question really depends on the soft tissue coverage in the lower portion and particularly the lateral breast. If there is a lot of soft tissue coverage, then saline can be very difficult to tell from silicone. If you are quite thin with minimal fat/breast tissue, then rippling and implant feel can be quite dramatic between the two. Unfortunately, without an in person examination, that's about as predictive as one can be over the internet.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Submuscular Saline Versus Silicone?Answer:

+1

It really does depend on your anatomy...the thicker your skin and breast tissue, the more real saline will feel...And if you are prone to weight changes, like training for a marathon several times a year, then you may ripple more with saline during those times....But there are many other factors to picking the right implant for you...Make sure and spend a good amount of time discussing this with your doctor!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Difference between saline and silicone implants

+1

This is one of the more important decisions in breast augmentation surgery.  The results between a saline implant and silicone varies from patient to patient and depends on a couple of factors.  The most important factor is the amount of breast tissue you have to cover the implant.  The more breast tissue the less noticeable the difference.  In some cases it is difficult to tell the difference, however, if there is very little breast tissue, then the silicone implants are going to give a softer more natural feel to the breasts with less chance of rippling.   

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Breat augmentation: saline vs silicone; under or over the muscle

+1

Under or over the muscle depends on individual anatomy.  If there is enough skin and volume that you may eventually droop then the implants should go over the muscle.  Implants that are under the muscle are isolated from the native breast and over time there can develope a separation of volumes leading to "double bubble" contour deformity.  Also, even in the best case, under the muscle implants deform when the muscles are used.  I reserve under the muscle placement for women with bone-flat chests.

Silicone is a far superior product for implants.  Saline implants are a lot more firm, are uncomfortable when you hug or lie or your stomach, have more rippling and wrinkling, and tend to deflate after 10 years.  Gel implants can't leak (there is no liquid within), are soft and natural, conform to  he chest, and are waranteed for life.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Submuscular Saline versus Silicone

+1

Your question raises several issues with regard to breast implants and the combination of breast augmentation and breast lifting.  Both saline and silicone implants have a lower capsular contracture rate when placed in the submuscular postion.  Saline implants are more prone to rippling and can be more palpable especially in thin women with little breast tissue.  In women with good skin thickness and moderate amounts of breast tissue, saline implants can feel very soft with no rippling.  When doing a combination of breast augmentation and breast lifting, I routinely place the implants in the submuscular position.  In my opinion, this produces a better and longer lasting result with a lower incidence of complications.

Donald Griffin, MD

Saline vs. silicone submuscular breast implants

+1

I think saline breast implants under the muscle look great, particularly with the size implantyou are going for. Many women feel more comfortable with saline implants, and the adjustability factor makes them a great option. Silicone implants feel more breast-like than saline, and the health concerns associated with silicone implants in the past are much more diminished and informed. Either way, you don't burn a bridge, and while you want to choose an option that will suit you for the long haul, it is not technically difficult to exchange the implants from saline to silicone, or vice versa, in the future.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Saline implants should always be under the muscle

+1

Hi there-

While I firmly believe that silicone implants are going to give you a more realistic, lovely, natural, "do you think those are implants" kind of an appearance, it is possible that you will be equally happy with saline implants- but they should definitely be placed under your muscle, as saline implants are always prone to visible wrinkling- and this will be magnified on top of the muscle.

Please also understand that the fact is that silicone implants are the single most studied medical device in history- and have been found to be equal in safety to saline implants.

Nonetheless, I would agree with my colleagues that if you are committed to the use of saline, you should go with your gut.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Saline or Silicone Implants

+1

With the implant behind the muscle, if you do not go too big it can be hard to tell the difference.  I still use saline implants in about one half of my patients and they are very happy with them as I think you would be from your description.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon