Saline or Silicone? I need the most natural feel, look, and movement

Getting BA done next month. My doctor usually recommends silicone because most of his patients have an A cup. After examining me, he said I could go either way; silicone or saline because I'm a full 34B cup. He said I have enough breast tissue to where you won't tell a difference. I would still get the same results, will be soft as silicone, and give me good projection. I'm a 34 full B.I'm shooting for a 34 full D.What would you suggest? I need the most natural feel, look, and movement.

Breast Augmentation: Natural Look and Feel

+2

As you can see from all of the different answers to your questions, there is NO RIGHT ANSWER.  All plastic surgeons have differeing opinions about this subject based on their own experience.  In general, if you have an adequate amount of breast tissue, then you probably would be happy with either silicone gel or saline.  Silicone gel implants do feel and look more natural in women who are thin with minimal amounts of breast tissue.  It ultimately comes down to the comfort level each woman has withwhat device is placed into her body.  This decision is best made after a consultation with a board-certiffied plastic surgeon who will review all of the options and plusses and minuses of each choice with you.

You will be happier with silicone implants!

+2

I just answered a similar question already posted by you, but will repeat my answer here as well!

As others have stated, silicone will feel softer, more natural, and more homogeneous with your own breast tissue. Saline implants will have sufficient tissue coverage in your anatomy for a good result as well, but you may have rippling, a "water-balloon" feel, and potential for eventual deflation requiring re-operation. (All to save a few hundred bucks?) 98% of my patients choose the newest cohesive silicone gel implants for a reason (and NO, you do not have to get an MRI every two years to check for rupture--these implants are cohesive and cannot leak or rupture).

As to size, this (and the saline vs. silicone issue) is discussed in detail on my website (link below) and in my article "What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You?" found on my "About" page. I recommend that patients consider about 250cc to equal one cup size, so 450cc-500cc is about right. Since cup size is so variable among bra manufacturers, the "look" is much more critical than a letter on a bra label or a number on an implant! Realize that a 50 cc difference is 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of volume, which you cannot even detect. Discuss this with your surgeon, try on implants in a bra (and then allow your surgeon to use 50-100cc more than what you choose), and show your surgeon photos of models or patients (unclothed) with what you consider your own goal--that way your surgeon can use your own anatomy and measurements to select the best size and implant profile to give you as close to ideal results as possible!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs. Gel implants

+1

I generally see three sets of women, I want a gel, I want a saline and what is the best implant for me.  If your breasts is going to be more implant than you then a gel will always be better.  Other than that is is all up to personal choice.  In my practice it is about 85% GEL and 15% saline.  There is nothing wrong with a saline filled implant as long as there is enough soft tissue to cover the water baggy nature of the implant. Under thin breast tissue and skin a gel will always be better and appear more natural.

Silicone Saline Breast Implants

+1

Be glad you have enough tissue cover to allow you to easily choose between the two types.I use both silicone and saline implants. Silicone gel implants look more natural and feel softer with less chance of visible wrinkling.  Studies show silicone implants do not increase the incidence of disease or the chances of developing breast or other cancers. The FDA recommends MRI scans to follow gel implants postop. Saline implants, on the other hand, are less expensive. I can insert a saline implant through a smaller incision and can more easily adjust for minor size discrepancies between each breast during surgery. Implants come in various shapes. About 99 percent of the time, I insert a standard round implant. Discuss the pros and cons of each shape with your surgeon.  If the saline implant ruptures, you will most likely know it overnight, and this can be disconcerting. All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Avoid saline implants

+1

Avoid Saline.  They will age faster, look less natural, feel less natural and ripple!

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Saline vs Silicone

+1

Saline implants are also an option but Silicone will give you the more natural look and feel you want to achieve.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Evaluate factors such as size, incision you prefer to make you choice

+1

You have a wonderful breast envelope capable fo holding many saline or silicone in the prefered submammary plane.  If your preference is to have the smallest incision possible  in the areaolar region with a large implant, then saline will be best.  If you prefer a inframammary incision with softer more natural breasts then choose silicone.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs. Saline Breast Implants

+1
In general, silicone implants will look, feel and move more naturally than their saline counterpart. Saline implants usually give a rounder and "perkier" looking breast. The more breast tissue you have before augmentation the less the differences between these two implants will be noticed. That all said, to have the most natural result I would recommend silicone implants.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Saline-filled vs. gel-filled breast implants

+1

The short answer to this issue is that for you, a saline-filled breast implant that is sized, positioned, and filled correctly will look just like a gel-filled implant of the same size, shape, and position. Since you have adequate tissue coverage over the areas of the implant not covered by the pectoralis muscle you will not currently be able to feel the difference between the saline-filled implant compared to the gel filled. I disagree that saline-filled breast implants create a "rounder" look. Saline-filled implants of the same volume as gel-filled implants do weigh slightly more and have a different density but it's not clinically significant. Properly filled saline-filled breast implants are definitely not "firmer and more tense" than gel-filled implants. The same dimension and volume saline-filled implant compared to gel-filled will not create a "fuller" look in the superior part of the breast.

Saline-filled breast implants have both major and minor advantages over gel-filled breast implants but have the major disadvantage of feeling ripply if tissue coverage is such that you can feel them. Gel-filled breast implants have both major and minor disadvantages over saline-filled implants but have the major advantage that they feel and act more like tissue regardless of the coverage. I leave this choice to the patient after discussing the major and minor disadvantage of each and how they relate to their coverage and value judgments.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Saline or silicone

+1

silicone is definitely softer and more natural looking and feeling. however the saline will give you a rounder look to your breast. the type of implant depends on your ultimate desires.  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon