Saline or Silicone Implants For Someone With Allergies/Sensitivities?

Augment next month. I have trouble with allergies to metals and artificial foods upset my stomach. But after loosing ALOT of weight (100+), I need an augmentation just to live a normal life. Would Saline or Silicone have a lower rate of CC/allergic reactions? Also, I am 175 lbs, is 550-600 cc's too much for my first augmenation-my doc says they would by ok for my size? Also, above or below the muscle? I am having a TUBA insert.Can I do anything to increase success? Like a detox or natural foods?

Choose the options that will give you the highest rate of success

+1

There are a few issues to consider based on what you have mentioned.  The first is to remember that a breast augmentation is meant to increase volume and a breast lift is meant to reshape the breast.  Most women who have lost a substantial amount of weight need both and using a larger implant than desired to make up for both is a bad idea.  Second, unless your plastic surgeon is planning on making some type of large incision on your abdomen, a TUBA is designed to place saline implants only since they are placed deflated.  Third, neither saline nor silicone impacts CC, but TUBA can.  A bluntly dissected pocket that has been exposed to bleeding is more at risk for CC than one that is done under direct vision,cleanly, with no bleeding.  Make sure you get 2-3 consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.  Doing so should allow you to make an educated decision.

Dr Repta

Saline, silicone, implants, tuba and allergies

+1

first of all ,, you need to use a saline implant for a tuba,,   it can go over or under the muscle.   the shell is always made from silicone  and there is no known study about implants and allergies

Questions about upcoming BA

+1

1.  It is very unlikely that you would be allergic to either implant.

2.  How on earth is your surgeon possibly going to get a full-size 500+ cc gel implant inserted via the transumbilical (TUBA) method?  That doesn't make any sense.  Saline yes, silicone no.

3.  You have a lot of questions.  I would recommend returning to your surgeon for a second consult.  Make sure you really understand the pros and cons of the various methods, and how to determine the best size for your body frame and tissues.  It's a lot of material to learn about - far too much to summarize here.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Saline or Silicone TUBA implant after weight loss

+1

There are a lot of issues you ne to consider, maybe recosider, before you surgery, Saline versus Silicone, probably being the least important in terms of the body's reaction to the implant. Patients who have lost a lot of weight (congratulations BTW) usually have very loose breast skin and most often need a breast lift along with the augmentation, This cannot be accomplished with a TUBA insertion. You need to seek some more opinions from board certified plastic surgeons befor you rush into this procedure. Don't spend lot's of money on a plan that just sounds good, but may not give you what you want and expect. Get More Opinions and Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Why not to have a TUBA or saline implants

+1

First of all TUBA procedure does not yield excellent results in general.  there is very little precision/ control of the procedure, the plane of the implant is a bit of guess work and only saline implants can be placed.   I almmost never perform TUBA for these reasons.  I almost never use Saline implants because they will never be soft or natural looking.  The shell of both Silicone and Saline implants are made of silicone so reactions to silicone is no more or less of a concern.

My guess (although I could be wrong) is that the person that you consulted with is not a trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon.  If you have lost 100 pounds or more it is VERY unlikely that an augmentation without a lift will lead to an acceptable result.  You will almost certainly need a lifting of the nipple position whioch means there will have to be a scar placement on the breast through which the implant can be placed. This makes the idea of performing a TUBA pointless.

Consult with a few surgeons, educate yourself and make a decision that feels the best to you!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Saline or silicone implants

+1

If you are having a TUBA, then only saline can be placed in that technique.  But, I know of no problems with allergies with either implant.

Breast implants after massive weight loss

+1

Without photos or a face to face examination there is no way to answer all of your questions. I have never heard of cross reactivity between metal allergies, food sensitivities and breast implants.

There are however other important issues in that if you lost 100+ pounds you undoubtedly have sagging breasts with extra skin. If you need a breast lift but instead try to fill the breast with a very large implant you are asking for trouble even if you place it under the muscle. You would be much better off with a balanced approach of excess skin removal and inflation of the skin envelope with an implant (above or below the muscle). You may be choosing this approach to avoid any scars whatsoever on your breasts but if it goes awry and you need any revision you will end up with a breast incision/scar anyway. If you have picked your surgeon and surgery date already the issue of above vs. below the muscle should have already been chosen. A 600cc implant can be hard to fit under the muscle and causing significant breast sagging and stretching of the skin if placed above the muscle.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Question about allergies and breast implants

+1

Your question is regarding allergies and possible allergic reactions / capsular contracture to certain types of breast implants.  However, if you have chosen the TUBA route (through the belly buton), then you have already chosen saline implants.  This insertion route cannot guarantee the exact positioning of the implant (submuscular versus subglandular) that other techniques can.  Especially with  your weight loss history this may not be the best choice, of course photos would be helpful to answer this portion of your question.  I agree with some of the other surgeon's answers, seeking a second opinion or second consultation from your doctor may go a long way to alleviate some of your concerns.  Make sure the physician you choose is a plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

good luck

Sean A. Simon, MD

Breast implants with allergy

+1

Neither the silicone or the saline implant will induce any allergic response and you are safe with both. As far as capsular contracture is concerned, saline implants have a slightly lower rate. The TUBA thing confuses me as it seems unlikely a large silicone implant will pass upward through your belly button, and with this approach under the muscle is hardly a sure thing. Perhaps a second opinion will help you sort things out.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

+1

You need more in person time with a few boarded surgeons since you have SO many concerns and need better understanding of the options. From your very limited statement, my guess is saline under muscle at a 500 cc size vis infra or circum approach. But you need more understanding before having the operation, PLEASE seek in person time with a boarded surgeon in your area.