Saline or Silicone Implants?

Hello I wanted to receive people's opinion on implants. I wanted did a little bit of research and decided to go with saline but still am unsure. I definitely want to have natural looking breast after the procedure is done. I am only 5 ft and 109 lbs. I'm currently 34 A and am thinking of a C. Also if so which brand is better when deciding between saline and silicone implants. Thanks

Saline or Silicone Implants

+1

Silicone implants tend to feel more natural, and they are less likely to have palpable (and occasionally visible) implants.

Since your starting size is rather small, and you will be getting rather large implants, the difference between the two is more significant than for a patient, for example, wanting to go from a C to a D. 

I happen to use Allergan implants, but the products are so similar I wouldn't pick a surgeon based upon the implant manufacturer.

All the best. 

Saline or silicone gel implants?

+1

When my patients are considering which implant to use, it usually comes down to 1. cost of the implants - silicone gel implants are more expensive than saline implants, and 2. feel of the implants - silicone gel implants feel more like real breast tissue than saline implants which are basically a bag full of water.  If it is within your budget then I would recommend the silicone gel implants.  There are three implant manufacturers approved by the FDA in this country and I think that they are all good companies.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Gel vs Saline

+1

For a slender lady, the gel implants will give you a more natural look.  Discuss the pros and cons with your Plastic Surgeon.  Your surgeon will determine the best for you.  Both are very good implants.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Gel vs. Saline filled implants

+1

The choice between a saline filled implant and a silicone filled implant is as much a personal one as it is an anatomic one.  Saline implants are fine for women who have some soft tissue coverage to mask the water baggy feel of the implant.  If you are an A cup then it is likely that you do not have a lot of soft tissue coverage especially in the lower outer quadrant of the breast.  A saline implant can be  used but some rippling may occur along the lateral edges of the implant, which would be palpable and in rare cases visible.  This particularly noticeable when you raise you arm an lean forward.    If a saline filled implant is overfilled it will ripple and if underfilled it will crease so it needs to be filled to the manufacturers specifications.   The   majority of my patients 85% choose silicone gel implants when given a choice.  I try to explain to each patient the advantages and disadvantages of each type of implant.  Silicone implants are now made from cohesive silicone gel and have been made with this type of gel since 1999.  Most women with gel implants report a very natural feel and appearance tot he breasts. Gel implants are less likely to have those visible or even palpable wrinkles.  If your breast is going to be more implant than you then a gel implant is clearly a superior choice. 

Silicone gel or saline implants

+1

your anatomy has a lot to do with implant choice. The best result in a slender patient with little breast tissue would probably be with a gel implant. a saline implant could be used but some rippling may occur along the edges of the implant,which would be palpable and in rare cases visible. patients with enough soft tissue are candidates for saline implants, as the results are good and follow-up care is more straight forward then silicon gel implants.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Saline of Silicone Gel Implants

+1

Both saline and silicone gel are fine. The Gel will not suddenly deflate, costs $1000 more, and possibly has a higher degree of capsule formation and firmness.   The saline costs $1000 less ( our price exactly), can deflate at any moment but is pretty tough, and may have edges you can feel if not over inflated.    The gel probably feels more natural in most patients and reticently I chose gel for a family member I did based on natural feel.  The gel feels more natural than the saline usually but the saline can be quite natural also if over inflated somewhat.  If my sister wanted breast implants I would advise gel.  The gel are safe and results great.  The saline are also nice but gel is the winner,  My Best Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Here Today...

+1

Dear Today,

Both saline and silicone implants give a very nice result.  Silicone may just be a little "nicer."  Rippling is somewhat more likely with saline filled implants, especially in a very thin patient.  The full discussion regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each is long and involved and is best done in person.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Saline versus Silicone Implants for Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question. Although I cannot provide you with specific advice,  somegeneral words regarding the use of saline versus silicone breast implants may be helpful to you:

The type of implant used may Influence the final outcome  of the procedure, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
 Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

Silicone or Saline, That is The Question!

+1

Thank you for your question about which implants might best suit you. Silicone implants first became available to all women in 2007.  The vast majority of my patients (90%) choose silicone gel implants.  Silicone implants are made from cohesive silicone gel.  They have a very natual feel and look.  These implants are less likely to have visible or palpable wrinkles in the majority of women, and are clearly superior in petite patients with little breast tissue.  They have lower leakage rates than saline.   We recommend that you see your doctor yearly for examinations, even after healing.  An MRI will be beneficial as you age to help evaluate the condition of the implant. 

Saline implants can be placed with a smaller incision than silicone and provide a rounder look.  They are adjustable, since saline can be added to the implants to give a variety of degrees of fullness.   These implants are used for young patients (under age 22) based on the FDA regulations, or for any patient desiring them.  Saline implants have a higher leakage rate, but are covered by the manufacturer with a warranty.  Some women prefer the shape of saline and the concept that all that is contained in the implant is water.

Hope this helps clarify some of the advantages of each implant! 

Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Saline or Silicone? The Age Old Implant Question

+1

Booth silicone and saline implants are excellent devices.  The major implant companies (Mentor and Allergan) are both equally fine companies.  Silicone feels more natural (softer).  The final decision always rest with you!  Silicone tends to do better in thinner women (less wrinkling).

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS