Saline or Silicone? I Am Getting Implants in a Few Weeks and Still Haven't Decided 100 Percent on Saline or Silicone.

I am leaning more towards saline because I like the idea of knowing if I have a rupture and can fix the problem, also because I like the more round, projected look that high profile saline implants give. And also because one breast is larger than the other & I like the idea of being able to fill them at different levels to make them even. I am 20 yrs old 5'5" & 110 pounds, have had two children, and am a 32 B cup right now. What do you recommend & how large do you recommend for my frame?

Saline or silicone

+2

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are conservative but the final result is really created in the operating room. Saline or silicone is dependent upon your discussion with your plastic surgeon. Both are safe but have pros and cons. You can also place two different silicone sizes as well. But if there is a rupture you will certainly know sooner with saline than silicone. Also don't focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Saline for faster deflation

+1
Both can achieve beautiful results, but if your primary concern is seeing rupture and deflation quickly, then saline is your best bet. However, note that silicone implants come in a variety of sizes as well to effectively address your asymmetry. I wouldn't be able to give you a suggestion of size since I would need more measurements to determine this. Try on some sizers to see what you'd like or do the rice test at home.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
The reason why people choose saline over silicone is because they are cheaper, they can be placed through a smaller incision and if they break you will notice immediately

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Saline Versus Silicone Implants

+1

Dear mkk199 - I will try to answer your questions as best I can without photos.  It sounds like you are leaning toward saline implants for all the right reasons.  If you do go with saline I would definitely recommend putting them under the muscle. As far as size, you need to try on different size implants to figure out which size if best for you. Best of Luck.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Saline vs. silicone

+1

At this time, it is recommended that silicone implants are not used for patients under 22 years of age.  With this information in mind, combined with the many reasons you stated that you would prefer the saline implant, that will most likely be a good choice for you.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

+1

There isn't a perfect breast implant.

If there were, no one would use anything else.

Most plastic surgeons prefer silicone gel devices because they ripple much less, last longer and are lighter than saline implants. They have much less tendency to slide off to the side when you lie down.

The advantages of the saline implant is its lower cost (in most practices) and lower rates of capsular contracture.

As far as your choices are concerned, do remember that the gel devices are available in high profile versions. It is possible to use implants of different sizes in cases of asymmetry. Your size choice is a matter of personal taste.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Saline or Silicone?

+1

Most patients and surgeons prefer silicone gel implants over saline because of the more natural feel that they have. This is more important for a smaller breasted women getting large implants as compared, say, with a women wanting to increase from a C cup to a D cup.

The gel implants come in the same profiles (and one additional one) as do the salines, and come in a variety of sizes, and the volumes are such that it should be possible to get as good a size match as with salines. 

As to the size, that really depends upon your goals. Your surgeon may limit your options if you decide on an implant that is too large for your breast dimensions, but that is best decided not online, but in the surgeon's office. I prefer to have patients try on implants, and use that info in making a recommendation.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Silicone Vs Saline Implants

+1

I feel that silicone implants generally give a better result than saline.  The main benefit with saline implants is the lesser cost.  With breast asymmetry, different volumes of saline can give as good results as differential filling of saline implants.

John Whitt, MD

Saline vs silicone

+1

The choice for saline vs. silicone is a personal one. It sounds like you have made it already.  I will say that silicone implants do come in high profile and they come in round and smooth varieties as well.

If you are worried, use saline implants.

+1

Hi.

Both silicone and saline implants are fine, but saline implants do have the advantages that you talk about.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)