Saline or Silicone Implants?

Hi! I've wanted implants for a while(I'm now 20, I know I'm young but this is something I've thought about for years, and finally feel like I'm ready)and am having a dilemma about what kind of implants to get. Since I'm under 22, I beleive I can't have the Silicone type, but that would be my prefered option. I realize I will probably have to go under the muscle and thats okay, I have very little breast tissue, I weigh approximately 110 lbs and have an a-cup. What do you recommend?

Silicone gel implants are perfectly legal in a woman under age 22!

+1

I'm really not sure why so many of my colleagues who will use Botox daily in crow's feet (Botox Cosmetic is FDA-approved ONLY for treatment of glabellar frown lines--use in other areas is considered "off-label" but is absolutely legal and appropriate for the informed patient who requests this) are so adamant in not using silicone gel implants in well-informed women under age 22 who request them!

SILICONE GEL IMPLANTS ARE LEGAL FOR WOMEN UNDER AGE 22!

Use of silicone gel implants in this age group is considered "off-label" (just as Botox in  crows feet for any age women), and not only appropriate for the woman who is well-informed and consents to and requests their use, but preferable in slim petite women with little breast tissue. The incidence of visible rippling and wrinkling is much higher with saline implants in this type of patient, and silicone greatly reduces these concerns, while also providing a softer, more natural "feel" and NO chance of leakage or deflation EVER.

So find a surgeon who is informed and willing to give you the best results possible.

Sure, waiting is always an option, but will your anatomy or wishes for larger breasts change in 2 years? Or will your ability to accept and understand the informed consent process regarding silicone gel implants suddenly be better in two years? That's hogwash! For more information about this whole topic, click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Small breasts with limited skin and breast thickness.

+1

Greetings,

I would advise you not to have saline implants and wait until you are 22 years old (the age where the FDA allows a woman to select gel implants). 

I would suggest that you consider textured gel implants placed submuscularly when you are ready for a breast enlargement and be very conservative in your size selection...

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Gel vs. Saline filled implants

+1

An overfilled saline filled implant in a thin patient is not a good idea. The implant can look to round and it increases the risk of rippling along the edges of the implant.  If you are thin and your breast is going to be more implant than you then you will always do better with a gel filled implant.  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Breast Augmentation

+1

You will need to find a Plastic Surgeon you are comfortable with.  Consider waiting until you are 22 years old and get the silicone gel implants.  In the long run the gel implants will be more natural and softer. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon