Can saline be removed from breast implants during a Mastopexy?

I have 630cc implants that were over filled to get more cleavage. I am having a lift with areola reduction in a few months but I do not have a lot of extra skin. Can saline be removed from the implants I already have in order to create a little more skin for the lift?

Reduction of Amount of Saline Implant Volume during a Mastopexy

+1
While technically the answer to your question is yes, it is not a favorable option. When you reduce fill volume in a saline implant you increase the chance for rippling. This can also lead to future breakdown of the wall because of friction between the folds, resulting in   deflation. Have a discussion with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about what might benefit you the most. I would suggest replacing your implant with a smaller size to reduce the amount of pull on your skin. I hope this was helpful and good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Removing saline from an implant

+1
While yes, it is technically possible to remove saline from an overfilled implant, it may not be the best choice for what you are describing.  Taking out 30-50 cc will not give you very much of the "extra laxity" you are looking for.  Taking out a lot of saline and leaving the implant underfilled leads to ripples and a higher risk of future leakage, due to crease formation.  You might also consider replacing the implant with a smaller volume implant that is correctly filled, even though that does have the expense of a new implant.

Best to seek out the services of an experienced plastic surgeon who can help guide you through these issues.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast lift with implants?

+1
Usually in downsizing the implant is exchanged to a smaller one and the lift is performed. To know exactly what you need, an exam is important.

Removing Saline From Implants

+1
Typically,  removing saline from existing implants to gain more skin for breast lift is not the usual practice. The best way to gain more skin would be to downsize your implants and then perform your lift at the same time. Choice a plastic surgeon that may think more along those lines. Good luck.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
    Saline can be removed, but I would allow your surgeon to make those decisions for you.  It is hard to give an answer about what should be done from a technical standpoint without an exam or pictures.

Minimal volume adjustment with saline implants

+1
The answer to your question depends on how much your saline implants were overfilled. Each size has a specified fill range of about 30 cc from the smallest to the largest; this is only 2 Tablespoons and lowering the fill volume too much can result in rippling and an unnatural feel. In general it is not necessary to have more skin for more lift, because skin is removed durng a lift.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1
It is a simple process to insert a special tube into the implant valve and remove saline during your mastopexy. The problem would be in reducing too much and creating the rippling phenomenon that saline implant patients find disagreeable.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Saline can be removed from overfilled breast implants ... up to a point.

+1
The short answer is yes, but it may not be enough to make a significant difference. It would help to know the volume range your implant were designed to hold. While over filling implants is pretty common, and it does not make implants leak more often. Underfilling, on the other hand, has been demonstrated to increase breast implant deflation. So the overfilled volume can be removed, but the volume left must meet the minimum fill volume to prevent premature failure of the breast implant. If a larger reduction is needed, a new, smaller breast implant should be utilized. Without examining you, it is not possible to tell you if this is a good idea or not. Normally with breast lifts, we are trying to get rid of extra skin, so I am little confused by your description.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon