10 Year Old Saline Implants, One Implant Became Achy And Swollen 2 Days Ago, Normal?

Ten years ago, I had saline implants. I'm thin-skinned and went from A to full B. I had no problems since the surgery. Two days ago one of my breasts felt achy, larger than the other one, feeling of swolleness, not hard.This occured after stint of sleeping on chairs in a hospital for a family member. I called the surgeon's office. The nurse suggested I take motrin (1800 milligrams) per day for 7 days to see if swelling went down. My question is: Does this advice sound reasonable?

Breast Augmentation

+1

Anytime you develop significant swelling that persists, it is not normal.  10 years later the causes can vary from bleeding if you tore your scar capsule to possible infection or even more serious changes.  A trip to your surgeon is recomminded.  I hope this is helpful.

Looks like you have a late seroma

+1

I have seen late seromas present this way. You didn't mention fever, reddness, or other indications of infection. However, I have seen a seroma get infected once. I suggest you see your surgeon for an exam, maybe an ultrasound and a plan of action. Many times these resolve on their own with rest, immobiization, ice and antibiotics. Sometimes they need surgery. Good Luck! Dr Grant Stevens. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Pain in 10 yr old breast implants

+1

This initial treatment is good.  However, if there is little or no improvement after that week then I would follow up with a plastic surgeon for and examination.  

Steven Svehlak, MD

+1

I see a real issue on the left breast from your posted photo. There seems to be inferior "redness" and, yes, more size change. Along with pain and scoreness, if the left feels warmer than you have a cellulitis or infection until proven otherwise! Anti inflammatory medications are not what is recommended.  

PLEASE, seek immediate care and antibiotic therapy. Late onset of infection or cellulitis can occur. 

You may have infected implant

+1
There been reported cases of late implant infections due to dental work, gum infection and late manifestation of original implant infection. The reddness and swelling and sudden onset makes my be concerned about infection. The use of Morton is more for inflammatory reaction and needle aspiration under ultrasound guidance can reveale the cause. You need to take this seriously and needle aspiration and culture/cell studies is a must.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

New Breast Implant Swelling After 10 Years

+1

Dear marydavis90,

I am sorry to hear about your swelling and aching. Any change in the size, appearance, or feel of breast implants after ten years can be a sign of a new problem. I would consult your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Evaluataion needed

+1

Whenever there is a sudden change in implants, esp implants that are 10 years old, an evaluation from your surgeon is warranted. Motrin may be the answer, but new onset swelling can be a harbinger of a problem. An exam is needed.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Sudden change in old breast implants

+1

A sudden change in appearance or feeling of breast implants can mean one of several different things.   It is important to be seen by a plastic surgeon because they can actually examine your breast and get a better sense of what is going on.  Sometimes a mammogram or MRI may be requested to help better evaluate what's happening.  After you have a diagnoses, treatment can range from Motrin to surgery to replace the implant.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon