Big Pocket Under Arm After Breast Augmentation

I have Saline implants under the muscle and my right implant has always been a little off to the right. If I flex my chest muscles, my right implant goes under my arm. When laying on my back, it almost touches the bed. About the 4th day I had them, I was trying to shave my under arm and couldn't. There is a big pocket under my arm. Is it possible that it was put under the wrong muscle?

Please see your treating plastic surgeon

+3

Thanks for your question. I think it is imperative that you continue your follow up with your plastic surgeon. He certainly understands your anatomy and the procedure he/she performed. What you described sounds like the implant has migrated laterally and the “pocket” may be oversized. If revision surgery is required, I usually wait about 90 days. Again, please see your treating plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns! I hope this helps to explain your concerns.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant pocket

+2

In order to achieve symmetry and excellent result, dissection in the retropectoral plane must be precise.  When the pocket is over extended laterally or inferiorly, the implant will be displaced into the armpit or beneath the breast.  It sounds like the pocket was dissected too far laterally in this case.  Surgical repair would require a capsulorhaphy.  This means suture of the pocket back down to the chest wall. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

Pocket after breast implants

+2

If you have an over extended pocket with implants fallinf off your chest, you may need a revision to perform a pocket adjustment or what is called a capsulorrhaphy.

You need revision of breast augmentation pocket.

+2

Hi.

When your breast implants were put in, the right pocket was made too large to the side. So the implant slides under your arm.  You need a revision to close off the outer lateral part of the implant pocket.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Not likely.

+2

Without getting too technical or boring, the muscle (pectoralis major) is a large fan shaped muscle overlying the anterior chest. It attaches to the upper arm and helps move it.

When the implant is placed under this muscle, it must first be lifted off of the ribs and a "pocket created" for the implant to reside.

What it sounds like to me is that the dissection was carried out too far laterally, and as a result, gravity or muscle action causes the implant to displace to your arm pit, or too far to the side. Alternatively, the dissection could have been done properly, but the tissues were weak and the pocket stretched. Curious that the other side did not.

In any event, it sounds like the bottom line is that you have a malpositioned implant, and it will likely require a revision.

scottkinfw@msn.com
www.drkasden.us

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Lateral migration of the implant is a difficult problem

+2

Lateral and inferior migration of the implant is one of the biggest complaints about breast implants surgery. The weak spot, when the implant is placed under the muscle, is the lower outer quadrant. There is no muscle at this point. It is possible to raise a portion of the serratus muscle along the side to give an additional "buffer" to block lateral migration.

Time, weight, gravity, muscle activity, physical activity, your anatomy, elasticity of your skin, and shape of your ribs can all contribute to this outward displacement. This can be corrected by an internal capsule procedure; sometimes this requires tightening the capsule laterally and releasing it medially. The hope is that your muscle is now stretched out and has formed over the implant so that the repair will reposition the implant and prevent future displacement.

Forced pectoralis contraction can shift implant outside

+2

When the implant is placed under the muscle, forced contraction of the pectoralis can shift the implant to the outside. I would discuss this with your surgeon. In the meantime, you may want to consider (after consulting with your surgeon:)

1. Avoid pectoralis contraction: bench press, push-up, or pec deck exercises;

2) Take an underwire bra and cut out the cup so that the breast pops out where the cup used to be and is held in place, so that it does not shift to the outside especially at night when supine. Wear this 24/7. This may allow the breast implant to heal in place and the pocket to contract, especially in the early phase of wound healing. I hope this helps

Big pocket under arm can be fixed

+2

From your description, it sounds like the pocket was made too far lateral. By placing a row of internal stitches under the arm and opening the pocket on the inside, the implant will be repositioned to a more natural position. Ask your surgeon.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Get back to your surgeon immediately and show him/her

+2

Hopeful,

I am assuming that you are very early out from your surgery, in which case you should return to your surgeon post haste.  He/she may be able to tape the outer pocket closed to keep your implant pushed to the center of your breast before your permanent capsule develops.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Muscle junction repairs necessary to support the implant

+2

As the other doctors mentioned the pocket for your breast implant was made too large and too far laterally (on the side).

The symptoms you describe occur when the junction or attachment of two muscles--the Serratus Anterior Muscle and the Pectoralis Major Muscle--is violated or pulled apart during surgery to place the breast implant. Normally, these two muscles are fused together on the side of the rib cage and prevent the implant from sliding out to the side under your armpit.

These muscle attachments can be repaired to push the implant medially (toward the center of your chest) and provide support to keep the implant from sliding out under the arm.

This is a fairly sophisticated and technically difficult procedure, but done correctly can solve the problem.

You need to find an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast implant surgery and who has done this procedure successfully before.

Seek the opinion of two board certified surgeons and ask specific questions about their experience with this technique. The surgeon you select should use permanent sutures for the repair, and taping and or support garment to protect the repair for about 2 weeks after surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS