Can Saline Implants Have a Slow Leak and then Get Worse with Rough Handling?

I have had saline implants for 10yrs now and over the yrs my right one has become a bit smaller and is very suishy and ripply (my BF and I call it my shrivled up raisin). I have also been an exoctic dancer this whole time so they are constantly being handled. Two nights ago a customer was squeezing them so hard it hurt and I asked him to stop. Now, my right one is much more ripply and seems to have shrunk even more. Could this be related? I've also recently lost weight, could that be it?

Rarely a "slow leak"

+1

Having a slow leak and/or weight loss can affect the volume and size of your breast. These are good reasons to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss an implant exchange. Silicone implants may be a good option for you. Good luck!

Slow leak of saline breast implants.

+1

Yes , unfortunately there can be a slow leak from a breast implant.  It is rather uncommon and the typical course is that it happens in a very short(day or so) course.  I have seen several patients that have had a slow leak.  Whether that was a valve problem or a tiny hole is questionable. A changing physique can also make an implant look like it has a problem when it truly doesn't.  Also some people might have a capsule on one implant which makes the other implant look abnormal.  I would recommend you seeing a board certifed plastic surgeon.  Let the surgeon decide what is really going on,so that it can be treated.

Good luck, and thanks for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

??Slow leak of saline implant

+1

The usual course of a leaking saline implant is to deflate quite rapidly--usually over the course of a day. Over the course of a 27 year career I have only seen a handful of what I would call "slow" leaks. In these cases I found implants that had lost only some of the volume but clearly had a very small hole in the implant envelope. It is possible that if you have such as slow leak that the trauma you describe could have led to further loss of the saline.

If you have lost weight, that seems to me to be the more likely explanation for your findings.

An office visit with a plastic surgeon should be able to distinguish between these possibilities, and offer you the most appropriate remedy. Best wishes. 

Leaking is possible but saline implants tend to leak quickly rather than slowly

+1

Both a leak and/or weight loss can be the case,  however, it seems more likely to be weight loss related since saline implants tend to deflate (leak) quickly rather than slowly.  When the saline implant shell develops an opening it is similar to a water balloon in that all of the fluid tends to leak out relatively quickly.  Issues with the breast implant valve may lead to a slower leak.  The good news is that time will allow you to determine whether you need anything done or not.  There is no risk of harm from a saline implant leak and if it is truly a leak it will continue to get worse (implant will be smaller) with additional time.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Implants Leaking?

+1

Yes, both a saline breast implant leak and weight loss can lead to increased rippling/palpability of the breast implants. Generally speaking, if your breast implants are leaking (even a slow leak) you will notice a significant change over the course of weeks to months ( not years).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons for precise advice.